How to bond a resin pool?

I'll let you know tomorrow night (inspection is tommorrow afternoon)...licensed elctrician did the install...trench is 110ft long by 18inches deep conduit in PVC...200amp electrical upgrade, GFCI 20amp breaker for pump, Intermatic timer next to the 200amp panel and pump timer bypass switch at the pump...opposite side of post has separate circuit double outlet GFCI protected, with wiring to run third circuit for when we add the deck. unless they ask me to bond the water (don't laugh, I hear that is part of the new electrical code..NYS has not yet updated to that requirement) I don't why it wouldn't pass inspection. A bonding grid is not required for an AGP...what is required, as I learned in this post is that all metal parts be bonded together...in my case resin pool, only the steel wall is metal...so I bonded it to my pump.

Honestly, if money is no object to you, you are getting good advice (can't have too many circuits), but given you have a 24' round like me I really don;t see to need for a 50amp subpanel near your pool. My advice, call several electricians and get their opinion since they be most familiar with code requirements in your area.

FYI...you should add at least your state and planned equipment in your sig block, so that folks like John T and Waste can help you out.

dmanb2b the reason i ask is my insector told me I had to install a #8 copper wire around the hole pool 18 inches out and 4 to 6 inches deep then it need to be bonded to the pool at 4 equal spots the to the pump?? Were do I fasten a wire to the pool at 4 equal spots :hammer: I cannot drill holes in the wall? what's a guy to do??

ywait42 said:
dmanb2b the reason i ask is my insector told me I had to install a #8 copper wire around the hole pool 18 inches out and 4 to 6 inches deep then it need to be bonded to the pool at 4 equal spots the to the pump?? Were do I fasten a wire to the pool at 4 equal spots :hammer: I cannot drill holes in the wall? what's a guy to do??

Never heard that...are you sure he was talking about bonding and not grounding...Bonding just bonds the only electrical device to the only metal ie the pool. This keeps it from creating an electrical field around the pool if the pump should happen to short out. I'd get a second opinion! :goodjob:

inspection passed...ywait...sorry to hear that. If you hired a licensed electrian to do the work, he should be able to give your inpector a call and find out what the issue is. my bonding wire is #8...but bonding wire should not be buried...it is not a ground. I would ask your elct. to challenge the inspectors ruling

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dennis said:
Great pics, glad it all worked out.

cubby, I always hide the bolts behind an upright. Just seems right to me.

Later, Dennis
I get what you are saying Dennis...my pool came with a stainless panel that connected the two ends of the metal wall, this is where they cut in the skimmer and return. This is also where the nuts and bolts connect the two ends...it is on the backside of the pool and no one sees it. I actually like that because I imagine it adds to the life of the side walls in that the stainless won't rust around the skimmer or return. And it looks kinda cool to...But I suppose if you don't have that...the natural thing is to put in behind an upright.

dmanb2b, I have the same exact pool as you and currently putting it up. When I spoke to the inspector and explained that the uprights and bases for them are all plastic, he was not sure what I should do. I told him I would review it and when he comes out for the 1st inspection he can set me in the direction needed. In my town these people are very helpful to homeowners but rough on the contractors.

My guess is that I will need to put the bonding wire around the pool and maybe drill into the base rails with a small self tapping screw in 2-3 places.

Hey NH...if you have the same pool...we got it at NAMCO/Branch Brook...the only metal is the actual pool wall...the base rail is resin as well...so all I did was buy a $3 copper bonding lug, unscrew one of the nuts were the pool wall comes together and secure it. Then ran #8awg bare copper wire to my pump...it passed NYS code inspection...not sure if you saw my pics but you can get an idea here

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/

Also...tip...if you are still in the process of putting the pool up...do this before you cover the pool wall seam with an upright..or it that's done, but you haven;t yet filled you'll still easilly get back behind the upright...my PB thought no bonding was required with a resin pool...so I ended up having to pry on the resin upright and squeeze my way in there

Yep, got ours from Namco as well. It was a great deal and the size we wanted. We bought a used pool last year that was only a few years old but even a few years will change what you see once you tear it down. We ended up selling that and holding out for this pool (just watched the prices).

Your post was helpful and I did put the ground post adapter and wire in there before completing the pool. Put it up myself (two times :| - long story). The pool is finally 1/2 full of water and rising. Having the rest of the water trucked in this week and will be doing the electrical tomorrow. 1st inspection is just for the trench, then the wiring, then the final.

Have to see what they say. Thank you for posting what info you did. The pool instructions that came with the pool are horrible btw. I think that they should scrap those and just put a note in there that says good luck.

BTW: Your deck and pool turned out great. Really nice looking setup.

Brian

mkdsk101 said:
Where can I buy the bounding clamps?

Home Depot, Lowes, Menards...electical department. They have to be copper and they are a basic copper box about a half inch long, wide and deep. It has a copper post in the middle that you use to attach the copper wire to it and the pump. I just undid one of the screws on the stainless steel connecting plate partially and wrapped the wire around that and re tightened it. Hope that helped...

And I did go home last night and check mine again...It was 4 years ago when I did this...I did use a bonding nut on the pool...But all you do is take the nut off...slip the bonding nut on and then put the nut back on and tighten again. Run the wire to that and tighten the screw so the wire is secure...then run the wire to the back of the pump...there should be a post on the pump and then add a bonding hub to that post put the wire in place and tighten wire and hub to the post...and you're bonded!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.