How to Add Liquid Chlorine (with no return jets to pour it near)

Notauser

Jun 3, 2020
Gainesville, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Long time lurker, first time poster. I bought a house three years ago with a swamp of a pool (pool built in 1992), that had sat unused for at least 7 years. So after chipping away at it these past three years, I finally got it up and running this year. TFP has been instrumental in helping me along the way, so thank you for that.

I started the year with the tri-chlor pucks and an in-line (post-filter) tablet feeder. Things have worked out good so far, but as my CYA is about 40 ppm now, I'm ready to switch to liquid chlorine. I've read that the suggested way to add it is pour it in front of a return jet with the pump running...however I don't have your standard working return jets. As I was getting this pool up and going, I tested the return jets and found that they had a leak somewhere in the plumbing (and the spa drain too) so I've capped them off. Instead, I use the in-floor cleaning system as my returns. The in-floor cleaning system doesn't work as a cleaner any more, as the distribution valve has been stripped of all the moving parts (by the previous owner). So the water just passes straight through it and into the pool (the heads don't pop up because they are all getting roughly the same pressure now).

I have been adding other chemicals that TFP suggests pouring in front of a return jet, by mixing it a 5 gallon bucket, and spreading around the edges of the pool. Has worked good far, so I was wondering, should I just walk around the pool and pour the liquid chlorine in too? I have read posts where pouring the liquid chlorine in the skimmer, or tablet feeder is frowned upon, so I wanted y'alls opinions. SWG and chlorine pumps are on my radar, but they are more long term solutions, as I am just looking to get through this season.

Yep just pour it in as close as you can to one of the clean out ports that are your returns now.. You could also brush afterwards but I bet it will be fine...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.