How technical is concrete installation around vinyl pool?

mickmurph

Jun 26, 2023
Minnesota
Hey all,

Many of you noted that our concrete price at $13/sq ft was very high and we agreed. We are doing an 18x40 vinyl-lined pool, SWG in SE Minnesota and we found two concrete guys who came recommended at $6-7 sq. ft. They both said they have done "a few" pools but this leads me to wonder--how technical is pouring an in-ground pool deck? We are doing cantilever concrete right up to the edge of the pool, no aluminum rim, and concrete skimmers. We are also doing our automatic cover box lid as walk-on concrete versus the aluminum cover, so that it blends in better with our pool deck. Am I going to regret sub-contracting out the pool deck and these areas and not using the guy who works directly with the PB (PB said he's fine working with whoever we find if we can find someone cheaper which we did) or is it fairly straightforward? Will also ask the PB but wanted an unbiased opinion here.

Just for the record, we pay $2-4/sf for prepped flat work pour and $6-8/sf for full service flat work (demo, forming, pouring and cleanup). For a pool deck cantilever edge, the form work is the only thing that is really different from any other flat work job, to be safe I would be looking to see if any of your more reasonable options have done stamped or specialty concrete work. If they have enough talent to do any kind of specility work and you can clearly explain what your expectations are you should not have a problem. If they have only done flat sidewalks or basements you might rethink things.

Reactions: mickmurph
Make sure they have good bracing or reinforcement around the auto cover end. The auto cover box on my pool is just a plastic housing and it didn't withstand all of the pressure that was placed with the concrete poured around it. Didn't end up square and the cover is a little difficult put back on. This is with the pool builders choice cement guy. We had ~1700 sqft of concrete poured. It could have been done by someone less expensive but this guy has been doing pools for 20+ years and did a good job every place else. I don't think it was the concrete guys fault.. it's just a flimsy design from cover star.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.