Cartersville, Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My new pool is almost done open, but we have a leak in one of the main drains. I’m going to have them open the other one, and see if it’s good. If it isn’t, how fine is “just” having the skimmer for water pull? I can tell the pump is not getting enough water just looking at it, and I see all the other filter spots with lots of air. Right now the jets can’t really get into the pool, and the spa has little pressure and I’m assuming that is due to the drains being closed? Would opening just one of them while we figure the leak out be fine?

Main drains are never required.

They can be nice to have in some situations.

How many skimmers do you have?

Your skimmers should always be able to provide sufficient water to the pump without the main drains.

How deep is your pool?

What pump and filter do you have?

A number of people here run their pools without main drains. It's fine UNLESS the water level drops below the mouth of your skimmer(s). If that happens, your pump will run dry and it will probably overheat and need repair or replacement.

Of course, even having a main drain only helps in that situation if it's plumbed separately from the skimmer, or if you have a working float valve in your skimmer. Main drain in series with the skimmer, without a float valve, won't prevent the pump from running dry.

Reactions: Dirk
Got it. I have a VSP pump, unsure brand, can check later.
So the pump isn’t filling all the way up with water, and as I mentioned the jets seem starved when they’re in, but the skimmer should be able to provide enough water on its own? Perhaps the pump isn’t at 100%. The Jandy rep has been unresponsive so I’ve been kind of figuring out the AquaLink app on my own.

Please edit your signature and give a description of your pool and list of your pool equipment.

How many skimmers do you have?

How deep is your pool?

What pump and filter do you have?