LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2013
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have an auto-filler and used it when we first filled the pool. It overflowed a couple of times, so we turned it off. We've been manually filling the pool since then.

I've been considering changing it out with a float switch that controls a an automatic water valve controller that turns the water source for the filler on/off based on the float switch.

Of course that adds other complications, but I can put some safety checks in (i.e. water valve on for more than X minutes, turn it off).

Before I go down this path though, I'm wondering how reliable are the normal, mechanical autofill/toilet valves and what is the likelihood I either have a bad valve or a bad setup by the PB? If they are generally reliable, I will skip the float switch method and instead add a sensor that tells me when water is coming out of the overflow pipe instead.

Thanks.

I'm wondering how reliable are the normal, mechanical autofill/toilet valves and what is the likelihood I either have a bad valve or a bad setup by the PB?

Show us pics of your autofill valve.

Toilet float type of valves often fail by not positively closing and allow a small continuous flow even when the water level is high.

Fluidmaster valves are better then the float valves.

Fluidmaster valves usually leak because of a bad seal that can be replaced...

I was running it today and it filled up and it shut off properly when it got filled up, so I don’t think it’s the valve itself.

I think this is what’s going on. When the pumps are running, the basin level drops and the water fills and shuts off, per the valve. When the pumps turn off, the basin level rises. When it rises the water level is higher than the overflow and drains off.

I’m not sure how to fix this with the existing valve though. I think I’ve already got the adjustment ”screw” fully extended, meaning the float is as low as it can go. I’m going to try to remove the valve and make sure that’s the case though.

Shortening the shank did the trick I think. I'm going to keep watching and make sure we don't get any water coming out of the overflow tube though.

I had to lower the shank as far as it would go so that when the pump is running and it fills, it doesn't fill more than the overflow height once the pumps are turned off and the water in the basin rises. The crazy part is that I can't figure out where the overflow drain is in the basin or the filler area. I'm guessing they covered it with concrete when they were building.

Thanks for all your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.