How relaxed are you about maintaining your pool throughout your season?

achenx75

Jun 4, 2022
Central New Jersey
I read all the how-to's and posts here and it's such great information but I guess I'm just lazy and I can't be bothered to follow it to a tee.

After opening the pool is finished, all I really so is add half a gallon of chlorine every 2-3 days. I don't do any testing as I'm just guessing what the chlorine level is. I try to remember to empty the skimmer baskets every day or every other day and I just put the robot in when the pool gets really dirty or if I'm anticipating guests. I'll skim leaves if there's a lot or if I'm bored. I might add a bit or chlorine after heavy rain or after the pool is used.

Doing this, my pool has always stayed clear. I don't even do the OCLT after SLAM. I just stop when the water is clear.

Does anyone else get really lazy with their pool maintenance?

Does anyone else get really lazy with their pool maintenance?

The Office Yes GIF

I don't do any testing as I'm just guessing what the chlorine level is.
While I don’t conduct daily tests, I do test, especially FC. I’d never just guess at FC, even with a SWCG. During the summer, I’ll test 2-3x per week. Maybe 1x per week during the winter. I test pH every time I test FC. Other tests are less frequent because they don’t change during short spans. And on the rare occasion that I need to SLAM, I definitely make sure I pass the OCLT.

Other items, like brushing and emptying skimmer baskets are done as necessary, although I each at least once a week.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I am far more lazy during the winter, testing once every couple weeks to a month. But during the season, I am pretty diligent. I actually enjoy doing the work. Not so much the brushing (AGPs SUCK for browshing walls from outside without a deck), but I test FC and pH daily. TA once a week to 10 days. CYA at least once every 2-3 weeks, or after any big water changes (heavy rainfalls that result in wasting). CH I don't care about (vinyl and no heater), but I do test for funsies because I like seeing the color changes (lighted smart stir.. yumm!) and don't really want to just throw away the reagent. I'll vacuum pretty often, sometimes daily, during the initial month or so. LOTS of dirt from rainfall and wind. I mean A LOT. I should invest in a robot... nah. It doesn't take long to man vac it.

I'll get my skimmer hair nets today. I don't know how often I'll change those yet. Since we have no trees around us, I am not certain how much I will be catching. But I anticipate one a week?

I have been bitten by a high uv day before so I test fc quite often. At least every few days. I never blindly dose. Until recently I was having to supplement my undersized swg so I may become more lazy with it now that the new one is humming right along.
Currently I’m in the trust but verify camp.
I always do an oclt after slam cuz I don’t wanna have to start over. My cya is usually 70-80 so that’s alot of bleach to start over again.
I check ph every week or so (it never moves)
& ta maybe once a month (it also never moves)
Cya gets checked if I expect some sort of change from adding or backwash/ draining rain water etc.
I only check ch at opening just to confirm i have none lol 😂 (it never changes & I don’t add)
The robot does my vacuuming daily, I brush the steps if they are dirty & brush the crevices once a week.
Depending on the weather (what’s falling from the sky) determines how often I check the skimmer & pump basket.
I usually wait for the skimmer to get debris but sometimes I’ll scoop if impatient.
I backwash maybe a handful of times during my 7 month season.
I spend more time on opening/closing umbrellas, drying out/adjusting chair cushions, cleaning the deck & patio than I spend on maintaining the pool & hot tub itself.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.