Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
FC: 3
pH: 7.5
CYA: 30
CH: 275
TA: 90

I have a solar cover on my plaster pool and am wondering how quickly I can put the cover back on after adding Cal Hypo for chlorination. I usually add enough to raise FC by 2.5. Leslies store told me it should be 80% dissolved before it even hits the bottom. But after a few minutes, I see sparse patches of precipitate floating on the water. I was wondering if that precipitate is chemically active, or is it just leftover calcium or carbonate that I can toss the cover back over without harm.

Used to use liquid chlorine, but it's become quite expensive compared to CalHypo when it's on sale, and doesn't tend to leak in my car. Also, I have a small pool leak, so CH keeps dropping over time.

FC: 3
pH: 7.5
CYA: 30
CH: 275
TA: 90

I have a solar cover on my plaster pool and am wondering how quickly I can put the cover back on after adding Cal Hypo for chlorination. I usually add enough to raise FC by 2.5. Leslies store told me it should be 80% dissolved before it even hits the bottom. But after a few minutes, I see sparse patches of precipitate floating on the water. I was wondering if that precipitate is chemically active, or is it just leftover calcium or carbonate that I can toss the cover back over without harm.

Used to use liquid chlorine, but it's become quite expensive compared to CalHypo when it's on sale, and doesn't tend to leak in my car. Also, I have a small pool leak, so CH keeps dropping over time.
A small leak can get expensive if it’s not addressed. Way more expensive repairs than calhypo. 😉

The Walmart chlorinating liquid at $5.67/gallon is cheaper per 1ppm FC than calhypo at $5/pound. If you were buying liquid at Home Depot they double the price so the calculation goes back the other way.

Unfortunately I rent the house, and the owners are thinking of filling in the pool. SF Bay Area is having a tech recession, and inflation has made every so much more expensive, so nobody's ready to make expensive repairs. All the piping is under concrete decking from 60 years ago...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.