How often do you use the FAS/DPD test kit?

My pool is probably different than most if not all here. We own an RV park/campground. The use of the pool can be anywhere from 2-3 people a day to 30 or more. I usually test with the FAS/DPD at a minimum twice a day and sometimes more. The extra cost of the powder is minimal when compared to the cost to treat an algae bloom. Not to mention the upset campers that want to use a pool that is totally out of commision or cloudy and unapealing.

Its easy to use more powder than necessary when you test. A litlle or a lot in a test sample will not change the results but can drastically effect costs.

Terry

I use the FAS-DPD test everyday. With my CYA of 40, My FC is 3-5. However, I lose 2-3ppm per day. In order to keep my FC level from dropping below the Min of 3, I raise my FC level to 6 each evening, thus the use of the FAS-DPD. I do FC, CC and PH everyday like clockwork. I test for CY once a month, as we have soooooo much rain, I have to reduce my water load via "waste" on my sand filter. I have an algae free, sparkly pool.

FAS-DPD every day. Was hoping I would wean myself off of that, but just can't seem to let go of the precision it offers over OTO. Now to figure out how to get more of the powder -- I have lots of reagent left.

Beez said:
anonapersona said:
Yes, didn't seem to help. With the other color things, like strips and the pH side, I carefully look and ask "is it more or less than 7.6?", "is it more or less than 7.8?" trying to judge the degree of yellow inside the pink but that just dosen't work for the yellow or yellow-er CL side.

It is a matter of intensity with the OTO cl test.

I do suspect that the floursecent lights in the laundry room may be a factor but the mosquiotes outside are just horrible now that we have had a bit of rain (we back to wooded area) . And I am not about to spray up just to sit outside long enough to do the test. Done that, got 4 or 5 bites in that short time.

Possibly, but to my eyes a 5 or higher is more of a gold color, very much distinctly darker than the darkest yellow shade on the viewing block, which is all the test is good for in my opinion. I agree with you, I wouldn't use it to try and measure anything below 5.

Were my CYA lower at 30 then that 3.0 pm target would be useful. I probably will let it fall in the winter but not now in 100 degree heat.

Just a thought on the mosquitos...I use Cutter backyard spray...It comes in a large bottle as a hose end sprayer. One bottle sprayed all around my back yard in the bushes and in the trees and I control mosquitos for 4-6 weeks...I used it for the 4th and it is just starting to wear off now...I have another bottle that I need to spray this weekend. I love the stuff...I have been swimming in the evening now that it has finally gotten warm, and no mosquitos...Give it a try...Home Depot or Lowes sells it pretty cheap.

Cubby Beave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.