How often do you have to lower your water level?

cpeck18

Feb 13, 2024
Raleigh, NC
I'm a new pool owner and am still very much in the learning phase. We've lived here for two months and were told by the builder to always keep the pool water level at about the mid-line of the skimmer. With rains that have taken the water to basically the top of the skimmer opening, I've probably lowered our pool water levels 5-8 times in the last 2 months.

1. Is that normal?
2. If the water rises from the mid-line to the top of the skimmer, should I always be pumping it out basically as soon as I'm able?

Welcome to TFP.

in the summer you have evaporation that gets rid of some of the rain water. In the cold winter you have little evaporation to counteract rain filling your pool.

Some pools are built with overflow drains to automatically drain water above a set level but it sounds like that was not put in your pool.

Drain the pool as necessary when the water gets to the top of the skimmer. How often depends on Mother Nature.

When you drain off excess water you're also losing chemicals. Your signature isn't complete so we don't know what pool equipment you have but if it's a "salt" water pool with SWCG you'd be losing salinity and your CYA after a few times.

Reactions: Mdragger88
To get to your exact questions, normal is whatever it takes for your pool. If the water isn't evaporating as fast as rain is adding it, you'll need to drain some.

That said, the "half way" is not so critical. My skimmer manual (Pentair Bermuda) says one inch from the top and bottom of the skimmer opening are the limits. The opening is 5 1/2" tall, so that's a 3 1/2" range. Pretty big. You should check the manual for your own skimmers.

Higher levels cause less skimming action. Lower levels increase risk the pump will suck air, which is bad for it. Possibly very bad.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.