how much wider do they dig the hole? plumbing tomorrow. is the hole dug right?

Re: pb recommeds AGAINST umbrella sleeves in deck

Chris, yes a pic and measurements would be great! thx!!!

sorry I didn't get to measure but i will show you this
5843_1_20117414390.jpg

sorry I didn't get to measure but i will show you this
5843_1_20117414390.jpg

I have 3 of these in my paver deck. The key is to make sure that they dig a good size hole under the pavers and fill it with concrete. Once it is in and level, they cut the paver around it and grout the seam.

The only issue with mine is that the sleeve is TOO BIG! I bought a 9' umbrella and it wobbles around. My fix was to take a 6" piece of sched 20 (not 40, 20 is thinner and more flexible) pvc and cut it vertically. I then slid the 2 halves down either side of the umbrella as it went into the sleeve. That seems to have taken the slack out of it and it doesn't rock. I still take it out when a storm is coming in though.

We got ours for free, they have screw in heavier plastic plugs that keep it sealed from other crud or toes from hitting the holes. We don't use them often and did keep (by luck) a heavy movable base as well.

yup, exactly. a nice sleeve (not a couple feet deep, maybe a foot at most) and a plastic cap on it. just make sure the pole is aluminum and you take it out when you're done. my pool guy SUGGESTED it - i knew i wanted one already. just put it out far enough so you don't run into it. its not a big deal. i got the umbrella w/ the led lights on the bottom, looks pretty cool at night.

Here's a pic of mine during install...

sleeve.jpg

Even if you don't end up using them, it's a lot easier to have them installed during the paver install. I also have one on either side for a volleyball net.

thanks everyone regarding advice on umbrella sleeves. we started digging today and hit a hard dig (caliche/rock) at 3 feet. they said it would be an extra $5300 for the hard dig but good thing i had prepared for this and went with a company that capped the hard dig at $2k! Although i think they will be asking for some extra money as we increased the size of the original 10 x 40' pool to 12 x 40' pool and the salesman missed increasing the hard dig. he's out of town for the weekend and so they are digging. they will ask for money but not demand it is what i'm thinking. i will have to decide what is fair about that as some people have the way of thinking that if they miss things and try to tack on fees after the fact don't pay and some feel people r human so work with them.

i said more than i had to with the intentions to bring up what a pain it is to dig anything in our rock/I mean soil. rock, really. i'm one street away from the mountain. i'm thinking it's easier to get them now and regret having gotten them rather than wishing i had them later and trying to dig a hole in that soil in a little area where i'd remove a few pavers.

with that, though, have any of you, especially with phoenix sun find that the plastic sleeves don't hold up? i found some stainless steel sleeves and i'll post them in a bit. thx!

Melt in the sun, i went to a garden nursery in Tempe that said Tucson is ahead of Phoenix with water conservation and so u guys have more xeriscape landscapes. with that he said he's found more unique plants in Tucson than Phoenix. i usually grow edibles and will consider if i can grow any edibles in the pool area. if u know of anything else that has a similar look, standing up straight, that'd be great. i thought the horsetail was the straightest of the 3 choices, at least from a pic i saw and one house where i've seen horsetail. vines r a great option, although i worry about vines attracting more scorpians and windows on the block wall. the retainer wall will be very short, like 5-6" but, yes, we have a 5' block wall a few feet behind that. the pool is rectangle and will have a fence on two sides so i am planting on all sides, but my yard is backwards for how i would've wanted many things and it's in the hottest part of the yard; main 2 walls i have to decorate with plants are north facing and east facing. i spoke with a guy who owns a tropical nursery here in Phx and he says i can plant lots of things in the full sun and on that wall that are tropical and edible, like passion fruit, bananas, guava, and peach/nectarine trees... i thought of cooling the east wall off with bamboo but i hear how invasive it is and takes a lot of water. i thought of sugar can (plants that don't bush out) but that's the last thing i need my kids chewing on, although i read that it's healthy to juice. i was told there are plenty of veggies i can plant there like malibar spinach, squashes, although i have had a garden on that side of the yard and have a hard time believing i can grow veggies on that block wall. we just pulled out the olianders today and wow is that roof behind where they were ugly. i was going to put a banana tree there, a shower, and some pots. i might need to plant something tall to block the roof afterall and move the shower, now. thx!

Re: location of pool equipment-fence/sound through wall/pool remote..

i also wanted to attach a website where i found stainless steel umbrella sleeves. i wonder, especially if they'd be worth the money in phoenix as no plastic lasts in phoenix outdoors. anyone hear do stainless steel rather than plastic? anyone have plastic that lasts years? i guess the skimmer lids last a few years in Phoenix?
http://www.coolpoolproducts.com/categories/Umbrella-Sleeve/

Re: location of pool equipment-fence/sound through wall/pool remote..

carpainterinaz, that's interesting that they made u take the extra steps but for me everyone (pb.s, city...) seems to say "if your house was never flooded before it shouldn't floor now. i will have to see how good a job they do pulling the extra dirt out that they left and maybe call a grading company, but what the city told me is that unless they make a change that's 1 foot in height or more then they need to look at the grading. i was surprised. a foot is a lot. maybe Tempe has their stuff together more than phoenix.

thx!

and the baja step is 1 1/2 feet short on the long end and only 5 inches shorter on the short end. am i being worried for nothing? i know someone they built a pool for recently and they were 3 inches lower on the baja and with lots of confusion revolving around my retention yard already im trying to prevent any further probs like i've been doing the whole time so far. thx

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.