How much is a new main drain worth ? Pool Liner questions

Rescue30

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2008
New Jersey
Hi, looking for opinions and advice (Don't tell my Mother In law......)
I had a vinyl liner done 19 years ago when I first bought the house. I knew when I bought the house that the liner was ruined, and deducted the price from the price of the house. It got ruined 3 years later when the main drain froze/cracked and all the water drained out over the winter ( and I used a cheap pool repair guy) I then went back to the original builder and the second liner lasted for 16 years , so that's where I went today .

He showed me a liner which is 20 mil and I can get it in 28 mil for 15% more , is it worth going with the thicker liner ? any reason not to ?

Now for my MAIN question (no pun intended) The main drain was sealed off 16 years ago. Today they told me I can repair it for $1600. They put two drains in connected to one line (NJ Code) Is it worth it ? It's a big pool, 33k gallons and 10 feet deep. I have a Dolphin M cleaner but always have sand/dirt on the pool floor. What should I do ?????

THANKS

An isolated main drain is great if you need to pump water out. Otherwise, it doesn't do much. I have one, and even when it's on full and I sweep debris towards it, the stuff just passes by unless it's a perfect shot. Which isn't often.

I think the potential for leaks outweighs the benefits. You'd get more bang for the buck by installing a couple more returns so you could point one or two down at the deep end. That'll keep the water mixed well and avoid the temperature stratification.

r,

In my mind a main drain is not worth $1,600... And it will not solve your sand/dirt on the pool floor issue. Something is wrong if your Dolphin does not pick it up..

If this were my liner pool, I would install it without a main drain opening.. even if it meant removing the main drain that is currently there.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I do have three return lines and two skimmers.... My Dolphin does pick it up but I figured with the main drain it will be cleaner by itself without throwing the Dolphin in. I live in NJ, we drop the water below skimmer line for the winter when we close the pool, so I doubt I wouldn't get the main drain to empty it.... Should I put a third skimmer in ???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.