How much hp for a replacement pump

Mtilley

May 25, 2016
Manorville, NY
Hi,
I have 2 pumps (pool and spa) that went out last year.
They both were jandy phpu 1.5 pumps.
Thanks to someone’s recommendation here, I decided to replace them with two new CaliMar pumps.
They have two options, the 1.5 hp and the 3hp. The 1.5 uses 1 1/2” piping which is what I have. The 3hp uses 2” piping.
I always thought my main pool pump was undersized for my pool. It is about a 22 x 46 foot pool with only two jets on the shallow end.
It was poorly designed in my opinion.
Can I go to the 3 hp motor or will the 1 1/2” piping not be able to handle the pressure?
Thanks!

I would suggest you stick with the same pump. It will not make any appreciable difference to increase your pump speed/flow.

Since the calimar is a vs pump that effectively makes it variable hp. Going to the 3hp would potentially give more options and the ability to run at lower rpm to move the same amount of water. The price difference between the two is negligible. The 3hp does have a draw of 10amp vs the 1.5hp at 5amp so you want to insure that you have sufficient supply for the higher amperage (ie if the 2 pumps are on the same 20 amp breaker you are likely limited to the 1.5hp pumps)

Do you have a SWG?
If so the larger pump can run more efficiently at lower rpm so you can turn down the pump, keep the SWG running 24-7 and save a bunch of electricity cost and keep the water chlorinated and skimmer constantly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.