How much do you pay for stabilizer?

alosito

Jun 24, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
Two years ago I paid $55 for 25 lb of stabilizer. Now the lowest price I can find is $80 (Rx brand). Is it this by how much this chemical went up in price in general or am I looking for it in wrong places? I did find PuriTech for $72. Does anyone know if it is as good as Rx?

Prices are up.
If you can get it for less than $5 a pound, it is a bargain.
I am using PuriTech. Works fine.

Holy crud HomeDepot went up 2.25X over last year. (5 lbs)

Screenshot_20230223_183446_Chrome.jpg

Walmart still has last years price for 4lbs

Screenshot_20230223_183553_Chrome.jpg

Here is 15lbs for $53. ($3.53 /lb)

Puritech CYA

Your post made me buy mine today, while it's still available at a reasonable price. I also picked up 25lbs of Puritech Calcium Chloride for $51. THANKS. (y)

Last edited:
I buy Puritech brand on Amazon, too. I get the 25 lb bag for $78. It has gone up $6 since I bought some a couple of months ago. I find the more pounds you buy the price per pound is lower.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
I just ordered 20# @ $3.16/# - should set me up for a while.
There are multiple options available on this listing
20 lbs Puri Tech Stabilizer Conditioner Cyanuric Acid UV Protection for Swimming Pools and Spas https://a.co/d/eEYHE4H
I went to backyardpoolsuperstore.com & it is the same price & free shipping.
I just needed some other Amazin stuff so I went with amazon.

I use the stocks method when adding stabilizer (cyanuric acid). The pump is running, the stock in next to one of the jets, and I sqeeze the stock from time to time. When it is all done, I do see a quite a bit of broken down granules stitting on the bottom of my liner. Right below the jet I am using. Is it bad for the liner? Should I vaccum them asap or let them sit there to disolve?

Yeah. Get them up or brush them around until they dissolve. It's acid and will bleach the liner.

Was it an old sock ? Maybe the fabric stretched to allow some granuals out ? Or you didn't tie it well.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The robot might take 2 hours to get them, or blow some around instead of sucking then up.

It looks like I overdid it with stabilizer on a pool that I just filled full, and tests show now CYA of 80 while Pool Math shows it should be 40-50. Should I be worried about this considering I use liquid chlorine? I would really hate to waste water to bring CYA down.

It just means you will spend more on liquid chlorine until your CYA degrades down.

Maintain your FC at 7-9 ppm with CYA 80.

Two years ago I paid $55 for 25 lb of stabilizer. Now the lowest price I can find is $80 (Rx brand). Is it this by how much this chemical went up in price in general or am I looking for it in wrong places? I did find PuriTech for $72. Does anyone know if it is as good as Rx?

As mentioned, prices for anything pool related are up, WAY up! ☹️

Baking soda (sodium bicarb) is $8 for 13.5 lbs at the wholesale clubs.

The 50 lbs bag is a lifetime supply. Maybe 2 lifetimes. Lol.
No doubt- I haven’t used baking soda in years!
Its good to have a little on hand but not an ongoing need. Definitely no need to buy the expensive “pool” version.

Reactions: EmilePool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.