How much chlorine will I need to clean a "FL Everglade" pool

Re: How much chlorine will I need to clean a "FL Everglade"

I think Lershac had most of it right, but there is one more source of air. Gas dissolved in the water will come out of the water and form small bubbles when the water pressure goes down, as it does inside the pump strainer basket (which is at a partial vacuum). When the pump is running at a good water flow it is able to clear that air out, but at a lower flow rate, caused by the extra filter back pressure, it can't completely clear the pump strainer basket of gas.

Yeah if its small bubbbles its nothing to worry over. Jason has it right. Think of a bottle of coke, unopened, the CO2 stays dissolved under higher pressure, but when you open it, the lower pressure brings some of it out. The pressure in the pump strainer basket is lower than atmospheric, so some of the dissolved air gasses bubble out of solution. At high enough flow rates this gas gets swept right through the system, but at slower flow rates it can rest at the strainer lid where you can see it (and probably other places you cant).

Hurrah! The pool is crystal clear and the blueish water is more beautiful than the Caribbean’s.
I still have some deposits of dead algae on the bottom and algae stuck to the bottom but I’m waiting for my Anthony DE filter push-pull valve to be overhauled today first.
It crippled the performance of my DE filter and the backwashes weren’t as effective as they are supposed to be.

I can attest that the “secret” for converting the pool was simply keeping the FC on 20 (24 at the beginning) all the time (CYA=50) and of course, patience.

frogabog said:
Verdict please. Exactly how much chlorine did you need to clean your "FL Everglade" Pool?

36-38 gal of 12.5%, the first thirty of which I bought right away when I started. I may have exaggerated at the beginning by maintaining FC 24 for a few days. I thought better safe than sorry.

I'm looking at this crystal clear pool and I almost can't believe that just chlorine and filtration did the job. I'm also sure that a pool store salesman would have tried to sell me tons of pool chemicals from filtration aids to flocs and what not. I'm sure that those who have never had a green pool can't appreciate it. Obviously, if you never had it don't create it purposely, but still, it's a rewarding experience.
In a way it's like recovering from an accident or sickness. Only then you appreciate your health or your unharmed body.
Good and healthy swimming to all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.