How many Southerners are closing their pool?

I don't close and I'm in the dreaded middle zone... :cool: ...last winter proved to me it is not necessary! At the depth of the cold spell I had very little ice in the pool, I took no precautions with the equipment and it faired just fine.

I like to look out the windows and see my pool, that's the main reason I don't close. That and the little bit of extra work required... :mrgreen: See my avatar...

Jeez, I've been worrying over this issue. I'm out in arid West Texas where we can typically still wear shorts (sometimes) even in December. The only "real" dab of winter we get is usually in early February and if we get 1/4" of snow, the whole town freaks out.

So, am I better off just keeping my in-ground pool running a few hours each day and maintaining the chemicals? The sand filter and pump are housed in a permanent structure, so they're not exposed to elements.

We will be closing our AG pool very soon and getting it covered. We do get some cold days and nights here in NW Florida, and it is already getting cooler. The hot and cold days are so sporadic during the fall/winter here. It just makes it easier when the kids are begging to swim.......when it is 40 degrees outside......they see the cover and know they can't go swimming yet.

No closing for me...I use my spa in the winter, too..although not as much. Hot Toddies or spiked Spiced Apple Cider instead of Margaritas, maybe. :mrgreen: :cheers: We did fine with the Freeze Mode and wrapping/protecting last winter when it got into the '20s for a few days in a row. Rare stuff down here between Houston and Galveston.

I've had pretty good luck with covering the pump, filter & pipes with a tarp and hanging a drop cord with a 100-watt bulb underneath. I'll turn it on for a few days when the temps drop below 20 degrees. About 15 years ago I forgot to turn it on and had the pump housing crack. I fixed it with a fiberglass repair kit, but it was a pain.

I left my pool open last winter and plan to this year as well. It survived the freaky cold of last winter with no issues. It does have a freeze protection switch; the equipment is on an uncovered pad, uninsulated equipment. I've considered closing for the sake of saving $$ but not worried about freezing.

The pool just looks to dang nice to cover ;)

I'm referencing this post to see if you still agree with NOT closing? I'm ten miles south of I20, and usually totally take down the WHOLE AG pool to reassemble in April. Don't want to do that but also want to make sure I have chemicals correct. Trees are not an issue. I live on top of a treeless hill in the middle of 80 acres. So, go for it???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.