How many returns is too many?

IndyDon

In The Industry
May 11, 2023
Indianapolis
Currently building a 12 x 24 inground steel/vinyl kidney shaped pool, about 255 sq ft and approx 8750 gallons. The bottom is flat at 5', no diving and fiberglas steps. The customer didn't want main drains so I instead recommended two (2) Aqua Genie skimmers that have built in returns. The pool also has a separate standalone return, and now the customer wants two more returns added by the step seats. This will make a total of 5 returns and 2 skimmers in this pool. I am plumbing with 1 1/2" PVC and using a 1-1/2 HP variable speed pump.

My question is: will having 5 returns and 2 skimmers make the pressure at the returns too low? Should I plumb the step returns separately in a separate zone from the other 3 and use a multiport valve to allow the customer to select?

I'm new to the industry and could use some advice on this.

Welcome to the forum!

One thing you should know is that general consensus on this forum is that TriChlor is a really bad way to chlorinate a pool as it has many negative side effects so I would recommend against the AquaGenie. Please read Pool School on the downsides of TriChlor:

Venturi skimmers would be a better choice if you want to enhance skimming action.

In reality, the only downside to more returns is less flow rate per return which may or may not be an issue. The returns by the steps are useful for keeping the steps clear so for these, you might want to use smaller eyeballs to keep the velocity up. Also, you might want to use valving to control the flow rate to the various returns so some adjustments can be made should it be required. I would suggest a manifold with 2-way valves for adjustment rather than 3-way valves.

Pool-Plumbing-5.webp

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.