How many $ do you spend on your pool in a year?

I doubt that you really offended anyone here, however it did seem a bit odd that you would ask about the use of pool store methods/products. I personally thought it was a valid question.

My grandfather told me this many years ago -- " The only stupid question is the one not asked. " But then, he was also fond of answering with " Hide and watch! "

I for one, wasn't offended ;) Cost-analysis is a worthy object! And there are times when the treatment plan warrants consideration of multiple factors.
I do think some of us might have been slightly tripped up on the reference to powdered "shock" as a viable or more effective alternative (technically, partly true in that its all chlorine...but its the co-ingredients that can be problematic...)

I posted this in another thread earlier...

I'll give you my real world experience. I'm new to this TFP method.

I spent ~$70 on a test kit. $15 for stabilizer. And so far i've spent about $50 in bleach. And i have 16 gallons left. I go through about 2-3 gallons a week. I was only at roughly a 25-30 CYA level as well.
I had only put in 3lbs of CYA. I just added the other 1lb last night and hopefully my bleach usage will go down a little. I'm in full sun from about 7-8am till 6-7pm, maybe longer.

I'm one of the ones that might have to shoot for a CYA of 50. But so far i'm spending about $10 a week in bleach. That is nothing compared to the pool store schedule they wanted me to follow.....2 pucks a week, half bottle algecide every 2 weeks, bag of shock every 2 weeks, bottle of clairifier every month.

I'd be upwards of $150+ a month their way. This way once I get my CYA where I want it, i'll be in the $35-40ish a month range.

Is this thread about how much you spend on a pool in a year or how much a SLAM costs?

If it is the former then I would include electricity costs for the pump, heating costs, depreciation for a SWG cell, chemicals, etc.

The only parts of your post that seemed off to me were:

1. the (possibly tongue-in-cheek) question " Chime in here people, have you thought about just getting that bag of shock for $5 and throw it into the pool and be done with it ", implying that a $5 bag of shock would accomplish the same as 30 or 40 gallons of bleach, when the equivalent is actually more like 2 gallons of bleach, reinforced by...

2. "I truly understand the BBB method and also understand why it is taught. It can be expensive though and quite a bit more expensive than the shock sold at the pool stores."

Again, I don't think this is actually true if you look at cost for equivalent effect.

The final point (and the biggest one IMO) is that the whole idea of BBB is to avoid having to SLAM, and that pretty much everyone coming here and having to SLAM was using more common industry practices (aka "pool store method"). In other words people SLAM when pool store methods have failed, at least for them.

I'm drinking the kool-aid folks. You can rip apart my post line by line, I can take it. I misspoke when I said "1 bag of shock" may equal a SLAM. I'm so sorry to have rocked the boat. Here, I've posted this picture before. I don't use trichlor or dichlor and after today, in an effort to rid the waterline of that white line of calcium, my water is balanced with a CSI of -0.19:

Hats off to you Xexys for wanting to do a cost analysis on methods. I salute you sir :salut:

Thank you for reading between the lines and getting to the crux of my postings!

- - - Updated - - -

Good looking pool there, Xexys!

You posed a thoughtful question, and from what I've read here, it was answered to the best of our ability. I don't see where you rocked any boat.

Thank you Charlie and I will go back to lurking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have to use a gal of bleach a day to maintain my minimum FC of 3ppm. I have metals and if I raise it any higher the stains come back. Bleach totals $92 month and $50 month for sequestrant to maintain metals. Have to babysit my pool daily. Pretty hot here in Al so I lose approx 3ppm a day to sun. Add a gal each evening around 7pm...may or may not have to add more during the day.

Seldom have to use borax, soda, muric acid So I won't even count that. $150 month for the basics not counting eletric.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.