Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Sounds like a country song...

So after refilling my pool after a vinyl liner replacement, my "city" water was apparently 220ppm. I know the add acid/aerate method and because I have an SWG, muriatic acid is better to use than dry.

However, the strongest I can find in my area is 20 degrees baume and the cheapest at $10 a bottle. I know from Pool Math it will take me about a gallon to get my pH from 7.8 to at least 7.2. Ok, that's the first round. But is there any way to calculate, or more likely based on general experience, get a idea of how many daily rounds it might take me to get it down to the recommend range of 70?

Even just a ballpark to reduce the trips to the nearest hardware store that has it which, unfortunately, is not that close to my house.

So am I looking at maybe 6-8 rounds (gallons)? 12? 20+? :cautious:

Sounds like a country song...

So after refilling my pool after a vinyl liner replacement, my "city" water was apparently 220ppm. I know the add acid/aerate method and because I have an SWG, muriatic acid is better to use than dry.

However, the strongest I can find in my area is 20 degrees baume and the cheapest at $10 a bottle. I know from Pool Math it will take me about a gallon to get my pH from 7.8 to at least 7.2. Ok, that's the first round. But is there any way to calculate, or more likely based on general experience, get a idea of how many daily rounds it might take me to get it down to the recommend range of 70?

Even just a ballpark to reduce the trips to the nearest hardware store that has it which, unfortunately, is not that close to my house.

So am I looking at maybe 6-8 rounds (gallons)? 12? 20+? :cautious:
Where are you getting that calculation? Pool
Math (on my pool of 27k) says it takes ~2 quarts to get from 7.8-7.2

20 baume is the normal good stuff.

Also note the pH calculator isnt very accurate for predictions more than 0.4

Last edited:
However, the strongest I can find in my area is 20 degrees baume and the cheapest at $10 a bottle.
That's the strongest MA that's commonly available. $10/bottle is the normal price (used to be much cheaper a couple years ago).

But is there any way to calculate, or more likely based on general experience, get a idea of how many daily rounds it might take me to get it down to the recommend range of 70?
PoolMath --> "Effects of Adding" --> "31.45% (20° Be) Muriatic Acid"

For a 28k gallon pool, each gallon of MA will reduce pH by 1.1 and lower TA by 18 (approximately).

There's no rush to lower your TA, it's a process that takes days/weeks. Keep your pH in the 7s (don't overdose the MA).