How long to clear this up?

Easier said than done! We have a short pool season. Between an entire Costco pallet of Chlorox (my garage looks like a Chlorox 182 oz jug factory), conditioner, and an electrician digging up and fixing all the previous owner's homebrew electrical hookups (yikes), we're already into the pool for $1500. We're done by September so gotta get this thing fixed up soon!

Good news part 2. Didn't lose any chlorine overnight and can now completely see the bottom of the pool. Still a little cloudy at the deep end and a half dozen or so remaining leaves have revealed themselves. I think another 2 days of the shock/vac/brush treatment should do it on the clarity front. Now onto those stains....

4th
ecd51ca1.jpg

6th
b35de469.jpg

9th
7cce08af.jpg

12th
d33eaa43.jpg

Clear all the way to 9-9/12 ft.
c0b433ee.jpg

Massive stainage!
c95689f8.jpg

I'm continuing to shock and brush as it seems like some of the "film" is still coming off even though the water is now clear. Needless to say, with a pool this size, this amount of brushing is a serious workout.

Products used so far: Tons of Chlorox, two gallons of liquid CYA, a little bit of clarifier.

Pool is 100% clear now with no more "stuff" coming off. Went surprisingly quicker than I thought it would based on how awful it looked when the cover came off. Followed the "green swamp to sparkling oasis" thread and it worked right as advertised.

Now about those stains...

Any methodology I can use to try and tackle these? Water looks great, pool not so much. I wouldn't really be thrilled about draining the pool and acid washing, especially after finally conquering the algae and getting the water nice and clear.

Keep the FC towards the high end and see what the stains look like in a couple days.

Or if you're the impatient type, try laying a trichlor puck on one for 20 minutes or so and see if you have a clean circle. That will tell you if they're organic and whether bleach will clean them.

If there's any chance they're metal, get some store-brand vitamin c pills and set them on a stain and see if it's lifted by the time the pills dissolve into a pile of dust.

Hopefully this is just paranoia....

Ignoring the rest of the algae stains (and yes, that is literally stained, water has been totally clear to 9+ feet for days and no more algae is scrubbing off even with a steel brush), are those black dots on the step indicative of black algae? I noticed a couple of these lines and rows of little black dots in different areas of the pool today.

682baa18.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.