Tampa FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
How long does it take for borates to reduce? I added 40 level to my pool a couple of months back, but am worried about my dogs. So I’m not going to add it again. My dogs rarely swim and don’t have access to the pool to drink from it. But they are only 14 pounds and I’m second guessing my decision to put the borates in now just in case.

I thought I read something from ChemGeek that said borates were inside the 1/100th safety factor for dogs so they couldn’t be considered safe, but in reality the pool would have to be their only drinking source or something to be harmful. I could be remembering wrong….

I thought I read something from ChemGeek that said borates were inside the 1/100th safety factor for dogs so they couldn’t be considered safe, but in reality the pool would have to be their only drinking source or something to be harmful. I could be remembering wrong….

As noted in the thread Are Borates Safe to Use?, the issue isn't toxicity resulting in death, but rather what it would take to get to first symptoms which for male dogs is reduced testicle size. That was at 29 mg/kg/day and the No Observed Adverse Effect Level (NOAEL) was 8.8 mg/kg/day. So for a 14 kg (31 pound) dog this is 123 mg/day which at 50 ppm borates (ppm Boron) is 0.4 liters (1.7 cups) of water every day that would be at the NOAEL. That's still a lot of water unless they are using the pool as their water source.

Reactions: JupiterFL
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.