New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
My pool was set up the last week of August last year, it was open for 3 weeks then I closed the pool. I did winterize the sand filter and put the valve in "winter" mode. Looking at the guage this past weekend it is showing 20 PSI, which is wrong and the glass has water condensation in it. I'm going to see before opening up the pool if it is covered under warranty but my question is - Is this typical life of a pressure guage?

Our last pool had the original pressure guage on it for 20 years. I did store it in the garage for most of those years. It was a DE filter so it was easy to store.

Should I buy a few gages to have around to always be ready to replace it?

Thanks!

Did you leave your gauge outside over the winter?

I really like my glycerin filled one from tftestkits, it definitely feels more substantial than the one that came with my pool.
I learned my lesson about removing it upon closing after the first winter. Now it sits in the pool basket in the house all winter with my test kit.

Reactions: VinnyinNJ
Yes, was I supposed to take it off? Sounds like I was supposed to!

Yes, take it in. The gauges do not do well with freeze/thaw cycles. The gauge unscrews easily. I just took my gauge out of the garage cabinet and screwed it back into the filter.

And yes get the glycerin gauge although it still needs to be taken in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It would be nice to have that psi scale but outside of the one sold on tftestkits, most of the ones I found has a 0 to 35 psi scale.
0-30 or 0-35 isn't that much of a difference.
A quick Google search showed quite a few 'glycerin filled 0-30 pressure gauge' options

Yes, take it in. The gauges do not do well with freeze/thaw cycles. The gauge unscrews easily. I just took my gauge out of the garage cabinet and screwed it back into the filter.

And yes get the glycerin gauge although it still needs to be taken in.
It never dawned on me to take the gauge off as I figured it could handle the weather. With all that sand in it I was NOT about to move that filter. to my garage. I have already started looking at gauges for replacement if they don't warranty it. I have a couple picked out on Amazon already so I should be all set either way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.