How long do I need to use POP ?

My filter is t-21 owf. However it looks identical. My husband said there is no way that sand should be able to get to the very top of the collector hub at the top where it goes into the top . However we are working on the problem if that's it. Would the valve on top allow sand into the pool?
I don't know. My knowledge of sand filters is exhausted now.

Oh you poor thing! That is unreal with all that you have already gone through.

I really do not understand how the filters work. BUT I wonder if there is some kind of vacuum/suction that could be the problem with the PVC?

HUGS!!!!!!!!

Kim

I wish I were too. I could help out if by doing nothing else but running to town to get a pizza and some cold ones!

How are you fixing the pipe?

I am impressed that you are able/willing to do so much on your own!

One day, oh one day this will all be over and done!

Kim

OK...we used JB liquid weld and repaired the little nick at the top of the tube. We took off all of the laterals and cleaned them. We took the top off the filter and cleaned the spider gasket again and cleaned the big O ring gasket on the filter top. Whatever we did worked! No more sand going into the pool or out of the backwash tube..Everything is working. I do want to say that the shop vac worked wonders! Much easier than scooping out all that sand. I filled 3 5 gallon buckets with sand and still ended up with some more in the vac but it's all back where it belongs now. I didn't lose my chlorine level and I can actually see the entire bottom of the pool even though its green water. I have high hopes that tomorrow or the next day it will actually be blue...I am just happy its working. I really wouldn't have had the guts to do all this without the support from you guys though..thank you so much for all your help..I really do appreciate you all..Kim I'm having a cold one now thinking of you as I do! Pizza sounds good but tonight is frozen Pot Pies as I am way too tired to cook...good thing I have an understanding hubby..I will post pics later...promise! Thanks again my friends!

- - - Updated - - -

oh and Jesse WV...we did plug the stand pipe and made sure no sand got in it...I just dont know what happened but it works now.. And to the pool company that said I just need a new filter...they can kiss my _____!!!!!

Congratulations! If the pool water clears of cloudiness but remains green, so turns into a clear green, then that's metals. So that would only be one thing left to fix, probably by using an HEDP-based metal sequestrant. When you get to that point of clarity, I'd first let the chlorine level drop to normal (if you pass the OCLT) and then lower the pH to see if the green fades, just for confirmation that it is indeed metal (probably iron which is yellowish which against a blue vinyl background makes the water look green).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am going to get the water tested again at a different pool store today. I am sitting in the house about 30 feet from the pool and can see the bottom of the pool quite well. Problem is its green, bright green. So I have thought a lot about it and think maybe the pool store didn't actually test for metals. It wasn't on the printout when they handed it to me, I had to ask. The lady saidi " oh, no metals". Also when I was clearing the water I found a large orange colored rock in the middle of the pool that could have maybe put metals in??? Thinking a bored grandchild maybe threw the rock in...

so I went to a different pool store and had the water tested..no metals.They did say FC was 8 ppm, cc 0, PH 6.6, CYA 5 o on copper, iron, nitrates, and phosphates. My test with the TF100 test kit are:
FC 33
CC 0
TA 40
PH 8.3 +
CYA 25

I figure the cya must be down due to all the backwashing and adding water. Thje pool looks pretty clear..just green. I did add some PH down and am getting ready to vacuum again. At this point do I just keep slamming the pool? I know I need to let the FC come way down. Do I need to add stabilizer again or wait until I'm clear? I am including pics of the broken collector tube and the stuff we used to fix it as well as the ongoing water photos...may need to use more than one post to put them all on..The first pic is the water today...the second was 3 days ago.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, here is the pic of the collector pipe and what we used to fix it...

- - - Updated - - -

Water today

An update would be great!!! Hope to see crystal clear BLUE water soon!!! :cool:

So just to bring you up to speed...I have not added sequestriant yet as my chlorine was to high. I can add it today but I am going to wait until after the cookout and swimming. No one seems too worried about the green because it looks so clean. How long after adding the sequestriant should I see a change in color? How long until we can get back into the water? I can find nothing on the labels and have searched online but can't find the answer.

Hi Cindy,
just a reminder
for comfortable and safe swimming, your FC should not be above SLAM Level.

Your CYA is indeed dropped because you have been backwashing so much.

Wish I could help your your sequestrant question, but I dont know the answer. Hope I never have ot deal with that stuff.
I'm sure someone will come along soon to answer that for you though.

Yes I know it should be below shock level... It is now down to 10 so I think we're safe. At least I have decided a little bleach won't hurt me, lol. But I don't want to get in if the sequestriant is harmful. The label sounds pretty ominous. But nothing says how long to wait to get in. I think I'll add it tonight after no one is swimming. Besides the chlorine will be lower than too. Thanks for the reminder though...I may need some reminders occasionally. POP is getting mighty slim!

Which sequestrant did you get? I was just looking at the "jacks magic" page and a couple of theirs have a faq that says safe to swim after 15 minutes.

Hopefully someone with experience with it will be here soon to help. I can help google in the meantime! :)

I thought I had read of people putting that stuff in the pool and seeing immediate results...I could be thinking of something else though. I definitely have no experience with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.