How long do I need to run my pump?? Help please

gocubs418

May 3, 2016
Dallas/TX
All,

I noticed my electricity bill has increased quite a bit since I put in my pool and I just want to make sure I am turning it on the right speeds and length of time.

Pump: Jandy EPUMP 2.0hp
Gals: 12K

Scheduled to run:
8AM-10AM @ 2250 RPM
10AM-12PM @ 3450
12PM-1PM @ 2250
1PM-1:30PM @ 3450 (SPA)
1:30PM-8PM @ 2250

1. Are the RPMs too high/too low?

2. Am I running too long or too short?

Thank you!

Yes! You're definitely running it too much.

I don't have a fancy multispeed pump. I run a 1 HP pump at its only speed for two hours a day in a 16,000 gallon pool. And my water is clear enough to throw a quarter in the deep end and call heads or tails from the deck.

You'll need to do some experimenting. You really only need high speed long enough to get all the surface trash shoved to the skimmer. Then just enough beyond that to a) keep the water clear and b) run enough flow through the SWG that it generates enough FC. Hopefully someone with a similar setup will be along to offer their experience and give you a starting point. Until then, Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Yes! You're definitely running it too much.

I don't have a fancy multispeed pump. I run a 1 HP pump at its only speed for two hours a day in a 16,000 gallon pool. And my water is clear enough to throw a quarter in the deep end and call heads or tails from the deck.

You'll need to do some experimenting. You really only need high speed long enough to get all the surface trash shoved to the skimmer. Then just enough beyond that to a) keep the water clear and b) run enough flow through the SWG that it generates enough FC. Hopefully someone with a similar setup will be along to offer their experience and give you a starting point. Until then, Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Hi, thank you for the response.

As you expect, my water is crystal clear. Thank you for the pool school link.

Do I need to run it longer for the salt cell generator?

Will wait to see if anyone with variable speed will chime in.

Most of your increased electrical bill is coming from the high RPM not the amount of hours you are running. Many that have VS pumps run 24 hours at low RPM 1100 to 1300 for around $0.40 a day

If you have an AP700 SWG cell it is rated for 12K gallon pool so you very well may need to run longer possibly at or near 24 hours, but you defiantly do not have to run at such a high RPM. your SWG will have a flow switch and the plumbing for every pool is different I would start around 1200 rpm and increase by 50 or so until the low flow light on the SWG goes off. Once you find the rpm it seems to like increase by 100 or so to account for the filter getting dirty over time.

I do not have a SWG and I run at 1150 for about 6 hours for filtering and 2000 with booster pump for about 20 min for the Polaris and the pool looks great

You need to figure out the lowest RPM setting you can run the pump that will provide enough flow for your SWG. Add 100rpm to this number just to be safe and you can run at that RPM setting most of the day. Throw in a bit of high speed RPM pumping for skimming as needed to keep the pool visibly clean.

I run mine at 1300rpm for 8 hours to generate chlorine. I then run an additional 2 hours at 3400 for skimming and to generate good flow for my in-floor cleaning system.

You need to figure out the lowest RPM setting you can run the pump that will provide enough flow for your SWG. Add 100rpm to this number just to be safe and you can run at that RPM setting most of the day. Throw in a bit of high speed RPM pumping for skimming as needed to keep the pool visibly clean.

I run mine at 1300rpm for 8 hours to generate chlorine. I then run an additional 2 hours at 3400 for skimming and to generate good flow for my in-floor cleaning system.

Most of your increased electrical bill is coming from the high RPM not the amount of hours you are running. Many that have VS pumps run 24 hours at low RPM 1100 to 1300 for around $0.40 a day

If you have an AP700 SWG cell it is rated for 12K gallon pool so you very well may need to run longer possibly at or near 24 hours, but you defiantly do not have to run at such a high RPM. your SWG will have a flow switch and the plumbing for every pool is different I would start around 1200 rpm and increase by 50 or so until the low flow light on the SWG goes off. Once you find the rpm it seems to like increase by 100 or so to account for the filter getting dirty over time.

I do not have a SWG and I run at 1150 for about 6 hours for filtering and 2000 with booster pump for about 20 min for the Polaris and the pool looks great

Thank you both... I will need to tweak the settings a little bit, I lowered it immediately from 2250 to 1750. I'll keep the spa at full blast for 30 minutes to really clean the muck in there. I am going to keep it at 3450 while its cleaning and skimming.

I am going to play around with it to see if I still get good flow from 1750 to 1300 like recommended. Gonna have to monitor FC levels.

At 2250, it was pulling 650 Watts..... @ 1300, it pulled 150 Watts. :cool: WOWZA, huge frickin difference especially since I am not home or using the pool for 80% of that time. Been literally throwing money out the window.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.