How long can I go before not adding anything to new pool wat

Re: How long can I go before not adding anything to new pool

Backyard Luddite said:
PridgNYC said:
In my Taylor K-2006, the CYA vial is attached to Color comparator for pH, it is the smaller vial. Are you saying you didn't get any vials? Or did you not get the K-2006 kit?

Yes I didn't get the smaller vial with my test kit (Taylor K-1005). They apologized and already sent it out - should arrive tomorrow. I ordered this kit before learning about the TFP site. A friend suggested I get the smaller kit since reagents don't last more than a year and I was setting my pool up late. I plan to order the K-2006 next season. A little surprised Intex didn't supply some CYA test strips with the Sand & SWG combo filter since they supplied strips for 4 other tests.

The only difference between the K-1005 and the K-2006 is the FAS-DPD test which you will need, and a bigger box. You can order that test separately from tftestkits.com and will have spent the same amount of money as if you had bought the K-2006 initially. Also, the speed stir is a must have IMO, but you can do it the hard way (by swirling) if you can't justify the extra expense.

This morning around 8:30 I tested the water and it was still:
FC of .5
a TC of .5 -- so a CC of zero.
PH was still 7.2

I added 40 oz. of 3% bleach and ran the filter on FP mode (non-SWG) for 3 hours.

I just retested and got the exact same results.
FC of .5
PH was still 7.2

I did get the correct CYA vial for my Taylor kit. Tested and got a below 20 reading. I can still see the dot. I had only put 3/4 of a lb. of CYA in to be on the safe side. I'll add the other 1/4 lb. tonight and run the pump for at least 12 hours with the cover off.

It looks like I need to add more bleach, but its very frustrating. Using Pool Calculator I would add another 40 oz. of bleach but that would be a total of 80 oz. in 2 days...

Backyard Luddite said:
FC of .5
PH was still 7.2

I added 40 oz. of 3% bleach and ran the filter on FP mode (non-SWG) for 3 hours.

FC of .5
PH was still 7.2

I did get the correct CYA vial for my Taylor kit. Tested and got a below 20 reading. I can still see the dot. I had only put 3/4 of a lb. of CYA in to be on the safe side. I'll add the other 1/4 lb. tonight and run the pump for at least 12 hours with the cover off.

It looks like I need to add more bleach, but its very frustrating. Using Pool Calculator I would add another 40 oz. of bleach but that would be a total of 80 oz. in 2 days...
80 oz of 3% will only add 4.8 FC to your pool. For water with less than 20 CYA, that's pretty low usage for two days, if you ask me!

Richard320 said:
Backyard Luddite said:
FC of .5
PH was still 7.2

FC of .5
PH was still 7.2

80 oz of 3% will only add 4.8 FC to your pool. For water with less than 20 CYA, that's pretty low usage for two days, if you ask me!

Good point. I just entered 20 CYA with a goal of 40 into the Pool Calculator and it said to add 10 oz. of stabilizer (CYA) into the pool. I was going to add a 1/4 cup but now I'll add a full cup (8 oz) to stay below the mark a little. Then test again.

If I get the CYA up to 40 by the morning will I still need to add the 34 oz (instead of the 40 oz I was planning) of bleach suggested by Pool Calculator. Over a 12 day period I would have added:
24 oz. on Day 2
24 oz. on Day 9
40 oz. this morning
34 oz. tomorrow morning (when CYA will be closer to 40) or should I just add it tonight? I'm planning to run the pump all night since I'm adding the CYA, so it might help to have the 34 oz. of bleach circulating at the same time.

Its like Christmas morning - all I want to see is my FC gauge turn color from its constant clear result...

Backyard Luddite said:
Richard320 said:
[quote="Backyard Luddite":2pyp5i9z]This morning around 8:30 I tested the water and it was still:
FC of .5
PH was still 7.2

FC of .5
PH was still 7.2

Good point. I just entered 20 CYA with a goal of 40 into the Pool Calculator and it said to add 10 oz. of stabilizer (CYA) into the pool. I was going to add a 1/4 cup but now I'll add a full cup (8 oz) to stay below the mark a little. Then test again.

If I get the CYA up to 40 by the morning will I still need to add the 34 oz (instead of the 40 oz I was planning) of bleach suggested by Pool Calculator. Over a 12 day period I would have added:
24 oz. on Day 2
24 oz. on Day 9
40 oz. this morning
34 oz. tomorrow morning (when CYA will be closer to 40) or should I just add it tonight? I'm planning to run the pump all night since I'm adding the CYA, so it might help to have the 34 oz. of bleach circulating at the same time.

Its like Christmas morning - all I want to see is my FC gauge turn color from its constant clear result...[/quote:2pyp5i9z]Part of the problem is you're using suck weak bleach. It seems like you're using a lot, but you're not. If you picked up some 12.5%, you'd be adding cups, not quarts.

And if you want to see the color change, double the dose. You've been piddling around so long now, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have nascent algae growth.

I'm going to look for the 12.5 version tomorrow. I'm going to tackle the Borax issue as soon as I get the water balanced and my SWG running. I'm going to add the 48 oz. of bleach tonight too because I do want to stop piddling around. You might be right about the nascent algae growth. I completely brushed the pool 2 days ago and I'm already feeling more slime. No discoloration thank goodness!

Thanks for the advice!!!

Are you using liquid stabilizer or dry? If dry, it goes by weight, not volume, so 1 cup of dry stabilizer does not equal 8 ounces in weight, liquid oz's and weight oz's are not the same. You need to weigh it, get a kitchen scale which allows you to tare the measurement (place empty container on scale and push Tare, weight measurement will 0 out, then pour your dry ingredient into the container to weigh just the ingredient). Also, if you are planning on using the SWG, you should be shooting for 60 ppm CYA now. You want your CYA to be in the SWG range before you turn it on to make it easier to adjust run time.

If you have really been measuring your CYA using a measuring cup, go get a scale and see how much 8 ounces (by the line in the cup) actually weighs so you can estimate how much CYA you have put in there (by weight) based on your measured (liquid) amounts. I suspect that is why your CYA is barely registering, you haven't added nearly enough.

Hooray!!! I got some color in my FC results. Its only about 1.5 but it isn't clear!

Good point on the dry or liquid stabilizer. I'm using dry (Regal Pool Stabilizer - CYA - that came in a 4 lb. container). It has a small scoop that I did weigh on a kitchen scale so I know that it was 2 oz. Coincidentally, I put an 8 oz. (1 cup) mark on the plastic cup I use to put liquid bleach in the pool and 4 scoops = the liquid 8 oz. line. Strange, but true...

I just retested and got these results.
FC of 1.5
a TC of 2 -- so a CC of .5
PH was still 7.2
TA of 80 (raised slightly from 70 - result from all previous tests)
CYA of 40 (doubled from less than 20 yesterday)

Good point also on boosting CYA even higher (to 70). Using my results and goals in the Pool Calculator I'm planning to add:
- Add 12 oz. of 6% bleach to raise FC from 1.5 to 3
- Add 15 oz. (by weight) of Stabilizer to raise CYA from 40 to 70; That would be a total of 35 oz. over 4 or 5 days for a 3800 gallon pool. Does that seem about right or too much?

FYI - another cloudy, few sprinkles, weather day in Northern Virginia.

I've been running the filter on "FP" mode (non SWG) to help mix the CYA. I'm planning to add the bleach and CYA (to get to 70) and run the filter for another day so I can finally get the water balanced so I can run the full combo filter (sand & SWG) for only a few hours a day.

Given that you had 0 CYA for a while, very low FC levels after that, and now the pool feels slimy, I want to suggest that you have the beginnings of an algae bloom and may need to shock the pool. You can do an OCLT to be sure. But stop adding CYA until you know in case you have to shock.

As pool school says, shock is a process, not a product. Read up on that as well. The bags of stuff that pool stores sell labeled "shock" are chlorine, mixed with "other stuff" in order to be a granular solid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Soupy said:
Given that you had 0 CYA for a while, very low FC levels after that, and now the pool feels slimy, I want to suggest that you have the beginnings of an algae bloom and may need to shock the pool. You can do an OCLT to be sure. But stop adding CYA until you know in case you have to shock.

As pool school says, shock is a process, not a product. Read up on that as well. The bags of stuff that pool stores sell labeled "shock" are chlorine, mixed with "other stuff" in order to be a granular solid.

With the rain we have had (more yesterday...) I didn't add any new chemicals to the pool. I was planning to add bleach and CYA, but my new Intex Combo Sand & SWG pump had been on for nearly 24 hours (in FP mode with a break for an hour or so at the 12 hour mark) to process the CYA and it was operating at "low pressure" - confirmed by the LED indicator. I turned off the pump before looking at the gauge - lesson learned. We had thunder as well so I couldn't operate the pump last night anyway.

FC of .5 (yes FC has dropped back to the clear non-color result...)
a TC of 1 -- so a CC of .5
PH was still 7.2
CYA of 35 (appears to have dropped a little after doubling from less than 20 yesterday)

After I confirm the "low pressure" issue with my new filter (still never run in SWG mode) I will proceed with adding chemicals to get to my first water balance level.

You wrote "...suggest that you have the beginnings of an algae bloom and may need to shock the pool. You can do an OCLT to be sure."

I read about OCLT and SLAM in Pool School. It hasn't been very sunny the past few days so sunlight probably isn't the major factor consuming chlorine. But I can run the OCLT tonight to confirm. I've had my solar blanket off as well since I wanted the CYA vapors to clear the pool. But I also have to repeat that the pool water has always been crystal clear. That wasn't the case last summer with our brief use of an Easy Set and the worthless small filter they include.

I don't have the FAS-DPD chlorine test. I got the Taylor K-1005 before learning about the TFP site. A friend suggested I get the smaller kit since reagents don't last more than a year and I was setting my pool up late. I plan to order the K-2006 next season from TFP.

As Richard320 wrote, "...part of the problem is you've used suck weak bleach. And if you want to see the color change, double the dose. You've been piddling around so long now, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have nascent algae growth."

You wrote, "The bags of stuff that pool stores sell labeled "shock" are chlorine, mixed with "other stuff" in order to be a granular solid. I did purchase 1 lb. of Super Shock-it 73 (1 lb. for 16,500 gals.; 73% calcium hypochlorite) when buying the pool salt and sand but haven't used it. When is it appropriate to use this stuff? Should I just take it back to the pool store?

Since I might have an algae bloom and I'm learning that Shock is a process, not a product, I'm considering the following:

1) Aggressively add more bleach (12% concentration) ASAP (since my SWG has never been on and I therefore need to add bleach every day) or perform OCLT tonight to confirm everything and then aggressively get my FC up.
2) Once the FC is up, add more CYA (I need to get up to 70)
3) Take back the Super Shock-it 73 (or keep it for unforeseen emergencies?)

When you are SLAMing, what are the safety guidelines as far as using the pool?

Thanks!!!

You should do the OCLT and follow SLAM before you raise the CYA up to SWG level, since higher CYA requires more bleach. Those bags of "shock" will also raise your CH, which doesn't matter for a vinyl pool. I would just return them to the pool store.

When you upgrade your kit next year... get the TF100 (not the K-kit). You can do many more tests with the larger reagent bottles in the TF and the box it comes it is easier to manage.

I have some questions regarding total CYA level. Many TFP posters recommend CYA levels of 70 before turning on SWG. I've been gradually getting my FC numbers up (unfortunately wasting time as some of you correctly suggest) and think I may be close to finally switching my SWG on for the first time. I've been more aggressive the past few days and my results have improved - Thanks!

I re-read my Intex manual (for my combined Sand & SWG system) and they have the following Preferred Water Chemistry Chart on p.31:
Factor Min. Ideal Max
FC 0 .5-3 5
CC 0 0 .2
pH 7.2 7.4-7.6 7.8
TA 100 100-140 140
CYA 10 20-40 50

FC of 2.5 (FC was higher yesterday but at least has been in the comfortable range for several days)
TC of 2.5 - so a CC of 0 (check!)
pH still 7.2 (in more than 2 weeks, pH has been 7.2 the entire time except 1 day early on at 7.4)
CYA of 60 (was 28 a couple days ago)

Questions:
1) Intex SWG manual recommended CYA levels are much lower than 70. Why do you think that is?
2) Pool School's Water Balance for SWGs Filters recommends adjusting pH to 7.5-7.6 and not any lower. I bought a box of 20 Mule Team but have been waiting to get the rest of my readings to the standard levels. Would you go ahead and proactively "control pH drift due to a SWG" and add 5 oz. of 20 Mule Team?
3) I just added 8 oz. of 8.25% bleach to get my FC level back up. We've had a lot of rain here lately but are going into a week of 90 degree temps and little rain. Would you flip on the SWG today?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.