West Central Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
I understand liquid chlorine is basically pH of 13, so it's use will tend to raise pH in the pool. I see this as I've generally been adding 40oz of muriatic acid weekly to my 28k SWCG pool. (This is my first season with SWCG, so I don't have a ton of historical experience). Alkalinity is easy to maintain at 70 and the SWCG easily maintains 5ppm.

My question - does pH rise simply by the existence of the liquid chlorine, or does pH rise due to the "expenditure" of free chlorine?

I ask because I just experienced our 2nd instance of a rainy/cloudy/cooler week. For both of these instances I found via my TF Test Kit that pH did not rise as much as usual. Needed 28oz of muriatic instead of 40. No weather adjustment was made to the SWCG.

Just trying to gain more detailed understanding. THANKS!

I understand liquid chlorine is basically pH of 13, so it's use will tend to raise pH in the pool. I see this as I've generally been adding 40oz of muriatic acid weekly to my 28k SWCG pool. (This is my first season with SWCG, so I don't have a ton of historical experience). Alkalinity is easy to maintain at 70 and the SWCG easily maintains 5ppm.

My question - does pH rise simply by the existence of the liquid chlorine, or does pH rise due to the "expenditure" of free chlorine?

I ask because I just experienced our 2nd instance of a rainy/cloudy/cooler week. For both of these instances I found via my TF Test Kit that pH did not rise as much as usual. Needed 28oz of muriatic instead of 40. No weather adjustment was made to the SWCG.

Just trying to gain more detailed understanding. THANKS!
Chlorine doesn’t change the pH, it’s a net neutral process. Aeration and high TA contribute to increasing pH. If you lower the TA to 50-60, the ph rise will slow.

Reactions: .ben
Chlorine doesn’t change the pH, it’s a net neutral process. Aeration and high TA contribute to increasing pH. If you lower the TA to 50-60, the ph rise will slow.
Interesting. I've been led down a different path of understanding. I'll use this to go back and better confirm or refute what I thought I knew. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.