How is this style of modern coping done?

ssml11

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2014
Miami/Florida
Hello, it's been a while since my last post. I was responsible for this build a few years ago: Construction Time! Miami, FL New Pool with Pictures and Prices Included.

I'm back at it. I just purchased a new home and it's time for a new build...This photo is the rendering of the new pool. We begin digging next month. Keeping it very simple this time around.
Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 5.42.27 PM.jpg

Now, I've recently fallen in love with this modern style of coping where it mostly looks like a very smooth, thick, continuos slab of concrete. Any idea how this is done, pros cons, and how it fairs compared to the usual travetine coping? Is this done framing the coping and just pouring regular concrete on?

1.jpgScreen Shot 2018-09-07 at 5.51.41 PM.jpg

Thanks

It is just a poured concrete slab. Usually it just extends right into the deck slabs (unlike your pictures where they are only about 2-3 feet wide)
Nothing really modern about it, my 1970s pool has it ;)
Although mine is rounded at the pool and covered in Kool Deck

Look pretty cool and modern to me! Wondering if the concrete would fare well against chemicals, hot florida sun and heat when walking on it, etc. Not a fan of adding kooldeck. If not fully convinced will just do the good old travertine coping.

They attach a styrofoam form at the tile and then pour a concrete coping. When it's partially set, they remove the form and smooth the edges. Can be square like this one, curved, or any shape that a form is available for. If it's done on a properly prepared base and has stress relief cuts every 3-4 ft, there shouldn't be any problem cracking. Just make sure its not attached to any decking around it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Based on further research, I think I’ll be using Lueders Limestone for coping. Will be sealing it since I will be using a salt chlorinated pool. Now I just need to find out where to buy it, as it is not very common here in South Florida.

Based on further research, I think I’ll be using Lueders Limestone for coping. Will be sealing it since I will be using a salt chlorinated pool. Now I just need to find out where to buy it, as it is not very common here in South Florida.

THe leuders limestone coping is nice. Expensive because they have to template the pool and custom cut. Will give you that concrete look. Uniform gray.
I just bought and tried Dry Treat 40SK as a sealant on our texas limestone we are using for our pool wall, and the stuff is great. Didn't change the color (much-very slight change), no shine. Its expensive, but so it the pool.

We have that exact coping design, and we used 16x24 (2" thick) individual pre-cast concrete pieces.

You won't be able to achieve that look with just poured concrete. It won't be nearly as precise and linear along the edges. Also, there are very few options for a 90 degree straight edge styrofoam cast for poured concrete. There will always be some rounding on the edges, which defeats the purpose of this design aesthetic.

We had our pre-cast concrete custom made by a concrete company, and they were able to accommodate all sorts of sizes since they make the forms. They also acid washed and sealed each stone to provide a rougher surface and protect from the elements.

Hope that helps!

The type of coping you showed is called Cantilevered Deck or Coping. This became big in the 70’s as the most modern way to do coping and providing a more modern look that the stone we see today. The problem was that in many cases there was cracking due to improper crack /movement control.

You can can see a picture of my pool (built 2016). I have the same cantilever deck, but with Kool Deck applied. There are expansion joints in the concrete every few feet, plus there is a horizontal joint just above the tile under the slab. Additionally, the pool builder connected the slabs to the pool’s rebar so they can’t move apart. This works well as my coping slab isn’t directly connected to other large expanses of concrete.

My expansion joints are standard concrete joints, but if you want them more subtle I believe you could use a sawcut. You may want to ask a pb about that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.