How fast to run Intelliflo 3 HP when vacuuming? (1.5 " plumbing)

I am finally getting around to installing a 3 HP Intelliflo VSF pump to replace my old 1 HP single-speed. I got a previous recommendation to run it 24/7 at 1200 rpm, so thats what I'll do. I'll set my RJ 45 salt cell at 45% and monitor the chlorine to be sure it's making enough.

My question is what speed should I be running the pump when manually vacuuming the pool. I assume faster, but I have 1.5 inch plumbing and don't want to overwork the pump, which is made for 2 inch pipes.

Last edited:
WB,

Just increase the speed to where your vacuum works best..

You won't over work the pump...

I'd start with 2200 and see how that works and then adjust up or down as needed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am finally getting around to installing a 3 HP Intelliflo VSF pump to replace my old 1 HP single-speed. I got a previous recommendation to run it 24/7 at 1200 rpm, so thats what I'll do. I'll set my RJ 45 salt cell at 45% and monitor the chlorine to be sure it's making enough.

My question is what speed should I be running the pump when manually vacuuming the pool. I assume faster, but I have 1.5 inch plumbing and don't want to overwork the pump, which is made for 2 inch pipes.
You want to find a speed that works for you, as Jimrahbe said. You likely will never want to run that pump at its highest speed with a vinyl liner pool. Push a little hard on the vac-head and it can get sucked to the liner with a high-power pump running that fast, not a good thing.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Running around 1200 RPM, the pump says it's drawing only 94 watts. If that's accurate, I'm looking forward to much lower power bills than with my old one-speed 1 hp.

One more question: I filled the pot with water and ran at about 2300 or 2400 RPM (about 10 psi, the amount my old pump made) until most of the air was out of the pump dome. When I lowered it to 1200 for a while and came back, there was air in the dome again. Pump was pushing water through fine (SWG running and I could see that it was generating through thr clear plastic), but there were some tiny bubbles coming out of the jet closest to the pump. Pressure at this speed barely registers on my gauge. Probably 1 or 2 psi at the most.

Is this ok?

Running around 1200 RPM, the pump says it's drawing only 94 watts. If that's accurate, I'm looking forward to much lower power bills than with my old one-speed 1 hp.

One more question: I filled the pot with water and ran at about 2300 or 2400 RPM (about 10 psi, the amount my old pump made) until most of the air was out of the pump dome. When I lowered it to 1200 for a while and came back, there was air in the dome again. Pump was pushing water through fine (SWG running and I could see that it was generating through thr clear plastic), but there were some tiny bubbles coming out of the jet closest to the pump. Pressure at this speed barely registers on my gauge. Probably 1 or 2 psi at the most.

Is this ok?
Completely normal with a VSP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.