How does this look-New pool build in Mckinney Texas

Nov 9, 2015
McKinney,TX
First post but appreciate the incredible knowledge I have gotten here before today-when I signed! Both kids are excited as are we. I have listed the info in my contract in my signature and a couple pictures below. I would love to hear what you think.
Specifically.... Is the pool big enough (36x15) perm is 102' and surface is 528. Decking is 1400 sq ft. But it is in a big over an acre backyard and when I measured it out and painted it on the grass it feels small. That could just be a 2D thing though.
Second, I am going back and fourth on the Salt vs traditional and I think what I have now is the Pentair Rainbow 320 inline chlorinator. Is that a good option? Any other things to ask/look for at this stage. Pool builder is Foley Pools.

I'll take pictures and will even do a video of the project (I am a filmmaker) so thank you in advance and be kind-I hope I did o.k. :)

P.S. I am also adding on to the patio. Another project unto itself but only related as far as it needs to be in conjunction with the pool.
RUSSELL, MICHAEL AND KERRI.9.5.18_001.jpgfoley3.jpgfoley4.jpg

Pie,

The IntelliFlo is a great pump, but you do NOT want the SVRS option. One, it is old and I suspect they are just trying to get rid of it.

And two, it is the worst option ever. If someone next door flushes the toilet, it will shut off... Ok, that is not really true, but it is close.. any surge in the pool water flow will shut the pump off.

Get the standard IntelliFlo without the SVRS option. Your pool builder might even say it is "required" it is not!!!

Make sure the EasyTouch you get is a "real" EasyTouch and not one of the cheap Lite units. It will have a model number with an "L" in it like PSL4 or PL4.. The light model has no load center for your circuit breakers. It will allow you to only have 4 pump speeds and 4 total programs, and it only has 1 Feature circuit. Trust me, you do NOT want a lite model.

You do want ScreenLogic... A great system for controlling you pool.

I have three saltwater pools and would never, ever build another pool that was not saltwater...

Here is the EasyTouch you need, which includes the Saltwater Chlorine Generator and built-in SWCG power supply... https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-easy-touch-control-system-520543 This assumes your pool will be 20K gallons or less.

I assume you have a cell phone.. and if I tried to sell you an old Black Rotary-Dial phone, you'd call me crazy. But you have no problem going with the same 1960's technology on your Polaris cleaner... :p I suggest you do so research on robot cleaners.. They do a better job and do not require any pumps to be running and eliminates the need for booster pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Love the design!! You asked about the size, mine is 40 feet long and I sometimes wish it was bigger. My yard is small, but has plenty of grass/yard on each side of the pool. How old are your kids? What are the depths going to be? I might suggest moving the tanning ledge out of the main pool area(similar to how the spa is). Our tanning ledge and steps take up some of our swim area and that is one thing I wish I'd changed.

Hey Schmoopie. We are currently doing a build in Allen and agree that the SVRS is being pushed in the area for some reason. I did a call to the City and they do not require the use of an SRVS pump. We used to live in McKinney and our old neighbors had the same problem and also got confirmation from McKinney that it isn't a requirement. Save yourself the headaches and $100 or so and get them to update the contract with the Non-SVRS option.

As far as the size of the pool. We are also building a rectangular Pool with a spa, a seating ledge along the side as well, and a small tanning ledge. Ours is only 25x16 though. Seeing the size of the pool after gunite we are still perfectly happy with the size and our two kids (4 and 7) can't wait for it to be done. We can only dream about having a pool your size. I think your family will love it!

Hi! Welcome to TFP. You'll get some great advice here about your build, whether you like it or not. Ask lots of questions, you'll get lots of answer. I tend to play devil's advocate to give you some alternate ideas to think about. Use any at your own risk!! ;)

Jim knows of the "lite" versions of the ET controllers having helped me limp by with mine. It's awful. Heed the warning: NO LITE!! ScreenLogic is awesome, requires no contemplation, just get it.

One question... who mows that lawn all the way out to the mountain side?!? ;)

You mentioned a concern about size. If I was building a pool, this is what I'd do, though it will sound silly. You "painted the pool" onto the grass, and that was a good first step, but I'd go further. Get some stakes and some good, strong string from HD. Stake out the pool and run string between the stakes. Just loop the string around the stakes so you can adjust. Then do the same for the deck. Include the spa, steps, baja deck, everything. Take your time. Then place your furniture out there. Chairs, table(s), lounges, etc. In the pool, too. If you don't have the furniture yet, simulate with what you have. Or use more stakes and string if you have to. Then walk around the pool and deck, around all the furniture, view it from all angles and from inside the house. Picture scenarios with different numbers of people. Pull chairs out from around the table. Lay towels on the ground for laying on (kids do that). Fill the "pool" with floaties (the kind you lay on). Buy them now, or simulate them. Nothing fills a pool and its deck up faster than people laying around on stuff. Lounge chairs can be over 6' long. One that you lay on in the water can really jam up available play room. If you plot out a table, but don't consider what walking around it with the chairs pulled out will be like, you'll be kicking yourself later. What about little end tables for drinks and snacks? They take up room, too. Umbrellas? Where is the BBQ smoke going to blow relative to sitting areas?

Case in point (based on how it's rendered). People and kids like to walk/run around a pool. You've got a traffic jam going on over at the fire pit. It completely impedes traffic flow around your pool, and that's with empty chairs. Just one guest with his feet up on the pit and you all will be stubbing toes on chair legs to get into, out of and around that circle of chairs. Now is the time to lay out everything, not just the pool. Once it's in concrete, your decisions will literally be in stone.

Kids and people splash. I'd want 6' minimum between pool water and landscaping. More if there's to be furniture.

I don't see that fire pit location as practical (though aesthetically its awesome). I see people, at night, congregating around the space between pool and house. That's where I'd want mine. Not a trek-around-the-pool away. Access to bathroom, kitchen, patio table, house, etc. That fire pit would get used more if it was on the other side of the pool. It would become a focal point of that area, rather than a distant oasis that will strand people out there. Just something to consider, your use of it might be totally different than how I'd use it. Mine is actually on rollers, so I can move it around. Its gas feed is a hose that lays on the ground and runs to a tank cover that looks like furniture and doubles as an end table for the chairs and love seat that surround the pit. I can move it all around as needed.

All your pool lights should go on the near wall, none across the pool and none on the ends. They'll only shine in your eyes and bother you. They should all shine away from your house and where you will most sit out there at night. Another reason to move that fire pit. You're not going to like sitting over there with the pool lights on. And you'll want to sit around the fire with the pool lights on!

More later, as it comes to me (unless you kick me out of your thread!)... ;)

I might suggest moving the tanning ledge out of the main pool area(similar to how the spa is). Our tanning ledge and steps take up some of our swim area and that is one thing I wish I'd changed.

We had this same concern. Ill post a link below to our build as it has some finished pictures on the 2nd page. We have similar geometry.

We love (love love love) the seat we carved out in the deep end. Is that something you guys would use?

What will be the main purpose of the spa? We chose raised as we are in the NE and hope to keep the pool open until late October even if we only use (and heat) the spa.

Welcome to TFP and enjoy the adventure!!!

New Rectangular In Ground Build (in progress) Eastern PA - Page 2

PS. Just reread my post. I get the appeal of the fire reflecting in the water, which would be awesome (though something doesn't sit right with me regarding open flames at that level, at that proximity to the water). I wasn't suggesting you put that same feature on the other side of the pool. I was suggesting you abandon the "flaming coping" idea and build a fire pit some distance from the pool's edge, above the surface of the deck, that you could all sit all the way around (not just a half circle)...

Other considerations:

- Shade. I find having a bit of shade over the pool is nice. A place to hide from blazing sun. I use a shade sail. Others use umbrellas.

- Hand rails. I'd put in fixtures to allow removable hand rails. Nobody likes looking at rails and ladders, so they could be put away most of the time. But to slip one in from time to time when I, uh, I mean when grammy and gramps visit would be nice. You'll need them yourself one day.

- I love the long bench. That's where your littles will hang out and learn to swim. What about a step at the other end? Similar to the step you have in the spa.

- Pools don't need to have drains. I can explain further, but there are aesthetic, practical and safety issues at play.

- If you plot out your pool as I suggested, be sure to get a feel for furniture on your shelf. How will kids and guests get past you and your big comfy loungers and your side table and your umbrella when they're trying to get in and out of the pool?

Oh, yah. I'm just getting started!! ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would make your pool at least wider if possible. Dirk’s idea about staking out the pool is dead on. I think you’ll find you’ll want it bigger. Our pool is only about 18’ wide, and it’s fine because that’s all the room we had! But since you have the space, go bigger! But that’s just my opinion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.