how does this happen

Makdaddy

Jul 23, 2012
Springfield Illinois
last weekend pool looked great
Yesterday lifted the solar cover to check temp
brown and green stripes ?????
Salt water gen is working.
Free Chlorine tested at 14 and Cc test was clear showed none????
So pool cleaner is cleaning it up and im debating about a shock.
We did have a day of rain last week, But would that do it??
As the cleaner is plowing through the mess its puffing up green.

How can the CC test and 14 PPm on chlorine allow this to happen?

Last edited:
CC level depends on a number of factors including how quickly the chlorine completely oxidizes the organics There are many different forms of organics some get directly oxidized completely others go through multiple steps. Often (maybe even usually) CC's do go up but not always the same amount. That's probably why there are more than one criteria for a SLAM. If you have visible algae you need to SLAM.

No idea why this just happened now. Have you changed pump speed or held it constant over the 8 years. How about your brushing? Salt generator output changes... it's hard for all the things that can affect this to stay absolutely constant.

Chris

It could be the water flow. It could be your solar cover. I know I had to keep an eye on mine when we would have little rains. The water laying on the cover would turn into an algae/bird bath/dirt trap. If it stayed wet enough the algae kept growing on top of the cover until a hard rain would wash it into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Like it has been stated already, that's why we have more than one criterion to SLAM. I once had zero cc's shown on the TF-100 FAS-DPD test and a clear pool, but suddenly started losing an exta 3 ppm fc per day. I started SLAM and continued until I passed OCLT. My pool has been fine since. I never figured out what happened. Sometimes, we can't find the cause, but we usually always have the easy and right answer thanks to TFP. If I had been following the traditional method back then, I would have ended up with a swamp, because I would not have been so in tune to something going on with my pool sans the TFPC methodologies and running with no fc.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.