How do I use sink n sweep without skimmer?

I got a test thing for chlorine and ph from ace. I can't see the difference in the color for either one. (Well the pH is pretty readable) For the cya I was just going to take to the pool store. I'm about ready to just sell the darn thing.

Please don't sell it. Once you settle into a routine, it becomes very easy.

One of the main reasons we recommend the TF-100 or K-2006 here is being drop based there is no ambiguity about your FC-CC levels. In a drop based test, you are looking for color change not comparing colors. Many people are in the same boat as you, not able to clearly compare colors, so don't sweat it.

This is my second year of taking care of our pool, and to me it is so easy. Takes me maybe 15 min to do my testing and brush the pool.

If you follow the advice given already in this thread, you will notice a huge difference in the cost of owning and maintaining your pool. Gone will be the days of "Oh crud, I have to spend another $100 on that darned pool!" You will find that it will become a small sanctuary from your daily troubles.

Give it a go, and you will see!

Let me list what I think I know based on my recollection of the above posts (I haven't re-read in detail):

1. You started this season with fresh water from a city supply -- if this is true, you started with a pool full of water and zero cya.
2. You added granular stabilizer. Hopefully you measured this in the cap (if HTH brand) and a full cap is 9 oz. Hopefully you know how much you added - if so, report that to us. Also, in what way did you add it? Hopefully in a cotton sock hung in the water and then massaged once it saturated so it puffed out in clouds into to the pool water, pre-dissolved. If you added it in another way, report how you added it.
3. You have added bleach. How much, and how often? Hopefully a couple cups per day.

If my assumptions above are correct, you should have clear water currently. Do you? Also, if my assumptions are correct, you should have a fairly accurate estimate on your CYA -- it will be whatever your manual addition raised it. Report how much you added and we can come close on your cya for you. This assumes you don't have extreme splashout and frequent new water additions that would dilute it.

Regarding test kit - we need to know how much stabilizer you added (so we know your CYA) to know if that OTO (the yellow block test you have) will work at this point. Depending on your CYA, we can likely keep you clear with the kit you have.

I don't know how much algaecide is, but apparently you were willing to buy some. If it were me, I'd put that money toward this test kit. This kit will let you precisely test your FC and CC. With a fairly reliable estimate on your CYA, this kit could be enough to keep your pool clear all year. When budget allows, I would add the speed stirrer, but that is more of a luxury than a necessity. Here is the kit I'd get in your shoes (in fact, its what I got when I was in your shoes). http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

I also started with fresh water (zero CYA) this season because I take down my pool every fall. I added enough stabilizer to get my CYA to 30 - I used the pool calculator and entered my known gallons and it told me what to add. I measured it out in the cap of stabilizer jar and let it dissolve. To test that I got to what I expected to, I should perform the CYA test about a week after my stabilizer addition. But I've been busy, it has been rainy (CYA test is best with sunlight) and I'm a little lazy. Regardless, I assume a CYA of 30 and have been bleaching daily to remain in my target zone based on the CYA/FC chart in Pool School. Crystal clear water and no issues at all. Eventually I will test the CYA,but since I know how much stabilizer was added, I could likely get by all year without that confirmatory test. You can likely as well, if in fact you are able to tell us how much stabilizer you added.

Don't give up. You can do this. Pool care really is just a steep learning curve - but then it is easy-peasy after that. If you can get the test kit I linked to, some of it will fall into place a bit quicker, in my opinion. Keep posting questions as needed!

I should have included in my prior post that when budget allows, you should get a CYA test ($17). I was not meaning to suggest not having a CYA test is the best idea, just that in your circumstance it would be a test I would spend money on only if available after the FAs-DPD test was purchased.

Please confirm the size of your pool. I just noticed that in another thread you listed it as 15 x 48. In your first post here you said 16 x 48. If it is 15 x 48, assuming you filled it 6" from the rail (which is fairly normal), your gallons would be 4600 (so your original assumption of 4400 was pretty close). Knowing how much of the chemicals to add is largely dependent on the pool volume, so please clarify when you get a chance.

crek31 said:
Please confirm the size of your pool. I just noticed that in another thread you listed it as 15 x 48. In your first post here you said 16 x 48. If it is 15 x 48, assuming you filled it 6" from the rail (which is fairly normal), your gallons would be 4600 (so your original assumption of 4400 was pretty close). Knowing how much of the chemicals to add is largely dependent on the pool volume, so please clarify when you get a chance.

OOPS, my bad. Other poster was KatWoman. That said, you indicated the box said 4400 gallons, so maybe a good idea to double check the diameter anyway. It will make a difference on figuring out your CYA with a test kit based just on pool size and amount of stabilizer you added.

I added 21oz by weight of stabilizer and 5 cups of bleach on saturday. When I tested today a friend looked at the results and determined the chlorine was OK. I will test chlorine again tonight. The pool looks great. I think the pH is OK. The pool calc says pH is based on TA? Not sure what that means.

In regards to the cya there will not be a lot of splashing in the pool but new water frequently with all the rain.

I didn't get algaecide I was just curious. I will get the test recommended in your latest post and having the cya done at pool store.

Oh, the cya test for $17? Is that a one time testing from someplace or is it something I buy and will have on hand to test myself?

If you buy it separately for the $17 it will have enough reagent for multiple tests. I'm sure it will say how many in the description - but I'd guess it should last you two seasons. Go to the same link as for the FAS-DPD I gave you above, then go to single test kits after you put that FAS-DPD in your cart, and look for the CYA only test. I'm in between mom and pool duties right now so can't do a couple calculations for you regarding CYA, but I will when I have a chance. Good luck, and so glad you did not give up!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.