Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I've searched TFP, YouTube, etc. trying to figure out how to remove the weir from my skimmer. The walls of my skimmer have bulged inward causing the weir to get stuck so I want to remove it, sand down the sides, and reinstall it. All the videos show newer models that have a spring type rod built into the weir which are easy to remove and replace. Unfortunately, my older model, a Baker Hydro skimmer, isn't so simple. I've read some threads talking about having to remove a hinge plate and some screws. I can't see any screws and the part in front of the weir (the hinge plate?) doesn't seem to come off (I tried prying it up with a screwdriver) and I don't want to break it. I've include pictures of the weir from the inside and the outside both up and down (four pictures). Can any one help me with this? Is this model just not designed to come off once it's in place? Worse case I may have to break it off and replace it with a newer replacement model like this: Weir, Assy. W/rod (51b1055) - INYOPools.com.
IMG_3621.jpgIMG_3624.jpgIMG_3623.jpgIMG_3622.jpg
Thanks!

Last edited:
I have come across 2 types of weir doors - one has 4 screws that screw down into the faceplate. I agree with you that there are no visible screws in your picture and it would appear that plastic plate in front would pop off. Although my does not have that plate - I can see the screws. The other type is with little hinge tabs that push in (similar to how a toilet paper holder works) and they just pop in. There should be a way to move the pin in to remove it however it may be an older model that stays in place until it breaks then you pop in a new one. Furthermore, with your skimmer sides concave, there may not be much room to push the weir door from side to side to activate the push pin.

Do you have the model of your skimmer and have you searched for a parts list? Alternatively, call inyopools and give them your skimmer info and let them try to find the right one. I would hate for you to try to pry up that front piece only to find out that you have the push pin type.

Reactions: DIYconvert
The top picture on the right side has a view of the hinge pin that runs the length of the weir door along the bottom and sets into a hole on the side of your skimmer box. Try and work that pin back out of that hole, I'm guessing it is spring loaded. Not much room to work there, good luck.

Reactions: DIYconvert
Thanks for the replies. I've concluded that the weirs in my skimmers are not designed to be removed. So, my plan to cut them out would have been necessary if I needed to replace them. However, I mentioned my issue to a neighbor who happens to be a practicing PE (Professional Engineer) who is also an expert on pool construction. He gave me a simple idea for fixing my stuck weirs involving a drywall saw (or metal saw blade) and a strip of sanding belt (see pic). I held the top of the weir in one hand and cut down along both sides of the weir to the hinge; just enough so it could swing back and forth freely. Holding one end of the strip of sanding belt from the skimmer entrance and the other from the inside of the skimmer through the top after removing the skimmer lid made it easy to sand down the cut edges (maybe not necessary but it satisfied my compulsive nature). My weirs are now back to working perfectly and I saved $75 not having to order new weirs.Weir fix pic.jpg

Reactions: GDN and Oly
Did you trim the door from inside the pool?
Nice job, not much room to work.
$75 buys a lot of beer to sit and enjoy watching your weir door work properly. :epds:
Yes. The one in the shallow end was easier. It was a hot day in Austin so I didn't mind having to jump in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.