How do I heat my spillover spa efficiently?

bmgo95

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2021
Austin
Hi guys, I'm a newbie.

I currently have a pool under construction that has an elevated spillover spa. I am working with the OmniLogic system so I have lots of electric actuators to work with and I want to make sure that the spa isn't heating the pool unnecessarily via the spillover.

Basically, how should I run the plumbing/actuators to make sure I'm not heating the pool while in spa mode? Do I need to make a 'loop' of sorts so that the spa drain is the only suction coming back into the spa returns?

Also, is there a thread on TFP or a recommended service which helps with the entire equipment pad design/plumbing/automation?

Automation systems have two modes.

Pool mode, where the spillover will be on..

Spa mode, where the spillover will be off.

You can't really turn on the spa and keep it on forever. You basically put the system in the spa mode, heat the spa, use the spa, and then put the system back into the Pool mode.

If you left the system in the spa mode, the pool would no longer get circulation nor any sanitization.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Nearly all modern controllers support 3 modes via valves with actuators.

Pool Mode - Suction from pool, return back to pool
Spa Mode - Suction from spa, return back to spa (heating spa only)
Spillover Mode - Suction from pool, return to spa

As for plumbing, the spa and pool will have separate plumbing to and from the spa. The "mode" is determined by valves which control which plumbing is used for the suction and return lines.

The drawing below is a typical spa setup with the jets being run with a separate loop than the heater/filter. This allows you to run the jets while the main filtration systems is filtering the pool.

1661981982783.png

Alternatively, this setup with a single pump for all functions:

1661982027226.png

Last edited:

Automation systems have two modes.

Pool mode, where the spillover will be on..

Spa mode, where the spillover will be off.

You can't really turn on the spa and keep it on forever. You basically put the system in the spa mode, heat the spa, use the spa, and then put the system back into the Pool mode.

If you left the system in the spa mode, the pool would no longer get circulation nor any sanitization.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the info, Jim!

Nearly all modern controllers support 3 modes via valves with actuators.

Pool Mode - Suction from pool, return back to pool
Spa Mode - Suction from spa, return back to spa (heating spa only)
Spillover Mode - Suction from pool, return to spa

As for plumbing, the spa and pool will have separate plumbing to and from the spa. The "mode" is determined by valves which control which plumbing is used for the suction and return lines.

The drawing below is a typical spa setup with the jets being run with a separate loop than the heater/filter. This allows you to run the jets while the main filtration systems is filtering the pool.

View attachment 450671

Alternatively, this setup with a single pump for all functions:

View attachment 450672
This is extremely helpful Mas! Thanks for that!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.