How do i confirm DE powder bypassing filter into pool???

wmmihail

Sep 3, 2018
selden, NY
Last year i started to notice 2 things - a small leak out of the MPV waste port of my Hayward de filter while in filter mode and a sense that i had a constant presence of "silt" at the bottom of the pool. This year I replaced the spider gasket, the old one looked fine but did it anyway. well these 2 conditions still persist. Any suggestions on how to address/confirm these items? As some back up history, I read somewhere that the gaskets should be glued in some way, the original was not that I could tell. I did lube it top and bottom before putting it in. Also, after I vac the pool, today being the most recent to finally got it clean after the spring opening, within a hour I noticed the "silt" on the side wall of the deep end right under the return nozzle. Are the 2 issues I am experiencing related? In the meantime, just like last year, I plugged the waste port to keep the water from constantly dripping onto my pool pump motor. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

can you list all of your equipment with model numbers as well as the MPV and the part number of the replacement gasket you bought? Are you sure you got the right the replacement part? It doesn’t take much difference in an o-ring size to cause a leak.

When was the last time the filter was completely torn apart and the grids checked for tears? Filters need annual rebuilds as they contain internal o-rings and manifolds that need to be inspected for cracks.

Thanks for the prompt reply. The filter is Hayward DE4820. The MPV is SP0710XR50. The gasket was an Amazon seller part seen in the attachment. I actually replaced all the filter elements using Pleatco PFS2448 a few years ago as there was some rub out of the filter fabric at the bottom of one or two elements. I still kept all the old ones. I tear down the filter every year to fully clean it and inspect it before storing for the winter but never replaced anything other than the elements within the filter itself. The filter is about 10 years old. THE MPV top was replaced a few years ago when my wife closed the return valves to the pool and the pump ran against a dead head for hours. Ruined a couple of items from the heat build up but that was replaced and all looked good at the time.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-30 154220.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-30 154220.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for the prompt reply. The filter is Hayward DE4820. The MPV is SP0710XR50. The gasket was an Amazon seller part seen in the attachment. I actually replaced all the filter elements using Pleatco PFS2448 a few years ago as there was some rub out of the filter fabric at the bottom of one or two elements. I still kept all the old ones. I tear down the filter every year to fully clean it and inspect it before storing for the winter but never replaced anything other than the elements within the filter itself. The filter is about 10 years old. THE MPV top was replaced a few years ago when my wife closed the return valves to the pool and the pump ran against a dead head for hours. Ruined a couple of items from the heat build up but that was replaced and all looked good at the time.
The answer to your question is that you should add DE to the filter and observe wether it goes back to the pool via the pool returns

not that easy to see. i am really trying to establish if the leak at the waste port and possible filter media getting into pool are related or 2 separate issues. can earth or vacuumed silt pass through the gasket the way water does?

not that easy to see. i am really trying to establish if the leak at the waste port and possible filter media getting into pool are related or 2 separate issues. can earth or vacuumed silt pass through the gasket the way water does?

If the filter is working properly but the spider gasket is not sealing well, then you'd see a leak to the waste port but you wouldn't really see filter media bypass the filter. Usually when filter media gets returned back into the pool, there is something wrong internally with the DE filter. So I think your issues are probably separate.

You probably should have replaced the entire MPV when you dead-headed the pump. Just replacing the top cover may not have been able to fix the problem especially if heat warped plastic parts.

thanks, Ill look into that o-ring. one more question, I could the "silt" or "dust" that is vac'd from the pool at openng bypass the spider and return to the pool? I had quite a bit this opening and had to vac a few times to get where i am now. also could the DE powder do the same when I charge it through the skimmer?

thanks, Ill look into that o-ring. one more question, I could the "silt" or "dust" that is vac'd from the pool at openng bypass the spider and return to the pool? I had quite a bit this opening and had to vac a few times to get where i am now. also could the DE powder do the same when I charge it through the skimmer?

I suppose it’s possible but if you changed the spider gasket and you’re still having problems, then the multiport could be warped.

Perhaps @JamesW or @1poolman1 might have some thoughts …

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last year i started to notice 2 things - a small leak out of the MPV waste port of my Hayward de filter while in filter mode and a sense that i had a constant presence of "silt" at the bottom of the pool. This year I replaced the spider gasket, the old one looked fine but did it anyway. well these 2 conditions still persist. Any suggestions on how to address/confirm these items? As some back up history, I read somewhere that the gaskets should be glued in some way, the original was not that I could tell. I did lube it top and bottom before putting it in. Also, after I vac the pool, today being the most recent to finally got it clean after the spring opening, within a hour I noticed the "silt" on the side wall of the deep end right under the return nozzle. Are the 2 issues I am experiencing related? In the meantime, just like last year, I plugged the waste port to keep the water from constantly dripping onto my pool pump motor. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
If you had to plug a port to stop a leak and have already replaced the gasket, best guess is that the problem is still in the valve. Do you turn the handle in only one direction when changing positions? Best to always go either clockwise or the opposite, but never back and forth. Got that from a factory rep decades ago. Seems to work well.

not that easy to see.
Actually, it is easy to see if your water is clear.

Drop a pound of DE into the skimmer and watch to see if the return gets cloudy.

If you have a leak on the return side or the filter and you do not have a check valve between the pump and filter, DE will backflow into the pump and out of the skimmer and main drain when the pump is off.

If you don't have a check valve, you should install one.

Reactions: Poolbreh
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.