How do I calculate energy usage? 1HP single speed vs 1.65HP vs pump.

I guess you didn't catch the meatlocker reference was a joke...

In this case it was meant as you're trying to have the HVAC system do something it is not designed to do.

If you really have to have 65-68 degrees in the summer - I'd get a really large window unit for your bedroom only, then set the rest of the house to 75. Even an oversized system will not get it down that cold in 95 degree heat. Or maybe better - talk to your HVAC service company about what they can design to come close. But do it only for the one room/suite and not the whole house.

In any event - your electricity usage problem is not caused by your pool pump - I should imagine the electric bill goes down as the outside temperatures go down. Your pool pump power draw is probably peanuts compared to your HVAC power draw.

I guess you didn't catch the meatlocker reference was a joke...

In this case it was meant as you're trying to have the HVAC system do something it is not designed to do.

If you really have to have 65-68 degrees in the summer - I'd get a really large window unit for your bedroom only, then set the rest of the house to 75. Even an oversized system will not get it down that cold in 95 degree heat. Or maybe better - talk to your HVAC service company about what they can design to come close. But do it only for the one room/suite and not the whole house.

In any event - your electricity usage problem is not caused by your pool pump - I should imagine the electric bill goes down as the outside temperatures go down. Your pool pump power draw is probably peanuts compared to your HVAC power draw.

Yes, I got the joke.... I just forgot to put the wink emoji in my reply. ;)

My home is divided into 3 zones.

Zone 1 is the downstairs living area. (5 ton unit)
Zone 2 is the four downstairs bedrooms/bathrooms. (5 ton unit)
Zone 3 is the one upstairs bedroom/bath. (3 ton unit)

Over the past week I've used my programmable thermostats to test out the time of use rate plan.

In Zone 1 I'm keeping the thermostat set at 72 degrees during off peak and 78 degrees during on peak, the temp in the living room usually rises to 77 or 78 degrees during the 5 hour on peak period and the compressor comes on a few times toward the end of the peak period.

In Zone 2 I'm keeping the thermostat set at 68 degrees during the off peak and 78 degrees during the on peak, the temp in the bedrooms will only get to 73 degrees during the 5 hour on peak period and the compressor will not come on at all during the peak period.

In Zone 3 I'm keeping the thermostat set at 74 degrees during the off peak and 78 degrees during the on peak, this room quickly rises to 78 degrees and the compressor cuts on an off several times per hour during the 5 hour peak period. I'm thinking I need to add some insulation in the walls between this room and the attic space surrounding it.

I'm pretty happy with the abilities of my HVAC system to keep my home comfortable. In my old home I had to use the window unit in my bedroom to supplement my HVAC, but I only had one 5 ton unit for the whole house there.

I just bought some spring loaded self closing hinges for the interior doors between each Zone. No matter how many times I tell the kids to keep the doors closed, they will invariably leave one open.

At current electricity consumption, my pool pump running 12 hours per day is about 13% of my electric bill. My HVAC is everything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.