How do I apply algaecide and can I shock at the same time too?

RJL

Jun 8, 2015
Manahawkin, NJ
We have some algae, green and black in our pool. I bought 2 quarts of liquid 60 algaecide and box of bags of shock. Do I just pour the algaecide into the the pool around the perimeter? Put it in the skimmers? What's the best method?

After the algaecide is in can I shock it or should I wait a day or so?

Thank you

Bob

Don't use the algaecide. Save it for winter closing. It won't do anything for the algae anyway. You'll want to follow the SLAM Process using liquid chlorine or regular bleach exclusively to maintain the elevated SLAM level. The instructions on that page should help get you going.

+1 on skipping algaecide. Chlorine is all you need to clear up an algae outbreak. And without knowing your CYA, you should only use liquid chlorine (ie. bleach) to chlorinate. Powdered shock contains stabilizer and too much stabilizer is one of the leading causes of algae.

+1 on skipping algaecide. Chlorine is all you need to clear up an algae outbreak. And without knowing your CYA, you should only use liquid chlorine (ie. bleach) to chlorinate. Powdered shock contains stabilizer and too much stabilizer is one of the leading causes of algae.
When u guys say regular bleach, u mean like normal store bought bleach? And does this apply on a SWG pool?

Regular bleach will work, as long as it's not "splashless" or with other additives. It's also sold as liquid chlorine, liquid shock, and sodium hypochlorite in varying concentrations up to about 12.5%. Yes, this applies to SWG pools, too. Read through the SLAM Process.

Reactions: Stevemiana
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.