How did YOU find TFP?

How did you find TFP?

• Total voters
I was researching ideas for my new 18' Ultra frame pool, and stumbled across the site. I am thankful I did, as I started the pool out on the method recommended here, and have had a clear, sparkly pool for 3 seasons!

Got "pool stored" first two years of my pool install. Handed them money hand over fist; even beat down their door in early spring when they would have their "exclusive" pool chemical sale for their loyal customers. During the second year, I started getting wiser and would question the reasoning for adding their chemicals. The only response they ever had was to show me the test results. When they had me add a five pound bucket of something or other, it settled on the floor of my pool, wrinkling the liner. I said enough was enough and went online too look up the issue I was supposedly trying to treat - I Found TFP. I haven't bought a single thing in a pool store in the past four years.

Bought a house with a pool last fall and after talking to the previous home owner and then with the local pool company, decided this pool needed better care than it had previously. With my chemistry/science background, I knew there had to be a reliable way out there rather than throwing chemicals at it and hoping for the best. I was right and found TFP, the beacon of light in the dimly lit world of pool care. I was looking for a book on pool care through amazon as I recall but no idea what search or possible link led me to this site...

Also, having a few months to pour over the site before I actually had to attack the pool management was extremely helpful. I can't imagine the folks that are staring at a hot, sun drenched green pool and trying to take all the information in so fast. Learning about it and being prepared helped so much... even if I was very impatient once it did start warming up to apply what I had learned and see results!

Not really sure, probably doing some research on how to take care of my big scary pool! Man, am I glad to be here. My pool has been easy peasy lemon squeezy for 3 years.

Except for:
Not knowing that low salt warning on SWCG is meaningless when the water is cold. So I put way too much salt in my pool. Luckily the Pentair IC40 keeps making chlorine even when there is too much salt. I just put a bag of salt in the pool last weekend for the first time in over 2 years. :)

And, not knowing that the SWCG does not make chlorine when the water is cold but algae will still grow. So, that is when I started using bleach in winter. That is also when I learned that algae can clog a cartridge filter in one day.

But, other than that it has been super easy pool and hot tub maintenance. Which is why it says TFP Platinum over there. <-------

I do not know exactly what brought me here but it had to be based on some issue I was having with an Intex pool. I have learned so much here and I have saved a lot of money. I do not buy clarifiers or any of that stuff anymore. I buy bleach or chlorine and acid and that is it. I have a 2 year old box of borax that I use when needed. What I love the most about this forum is this, if it has to do with a pool, someone has done it. This allows me to read and learn about liquid chlorine dispensers, robotic cleaners, stairs, and lights BEFORE I buy (or after). I learn so many tips, tricks, and do's and don'ts. When I run into a problem with a new item, oftentimes, I know exactly what to do to make it work. Pre-forum, I would have been frustrate and tossed the item or returned it.

After spending close to 2k dollars on chemicals the year before then almost another 1k on chemicals and still having a cloudy/green pool a month and a half after opening a few years ago. I went on a search for a more cost efective way to buy chemicals only to find TFP and come to the realization i was wasting my money on useless things. I am proud to say my average pool costs yearly now are around 300-400 dollars

I found TFP while watching Youtube videos on the Swimmingpoollearning channel trying to learn more about my "new to me pool" before taking it over from the "professionals." In one of his videos (they're very good by the way) he gave links to three pool websites for DIYers. This was easily the best one. From there I learned I'd need the Taylor or TF-100 test kit to do it properly. TF-100 seemed like a better deal and I'm cheap. When I got the kit and learned my FC was at 53 I fired the "professional" and took over my pool with the help this forum. I'm still not a "professional" and hope I never will be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I recently stumbled into this thread via Google while trying to find out what happened to the Pool Forum. I was a member of that forum for a few years.

Looks like I have a new home now. :)

When researching endless details online in 2012 for our new pool build. Best pool related accessory ever!

After the pool store "helped" me ruin my first pool I did NOT want another pool. I was glad to just see a big hole in the deck where it used to be.

Hubby wanted a new pool. I told him if he could find me a good way to take care of the pool that did NOT involve the pool store we could try it again.

He did a search and found TFP. He sent me the link and I started reading and more reading!

I ordered the test kit BEFORE I ordered the pool to make sure I COULD do it. I tested our well water. It was SO easy after reading and watching the videos.

I let him order the pool and it has been easy and oh so much cheaper than I ever thought it could be!

I even "tested" our local pool stores. I took some water I KNEW was good from my pool and drove to the 3 name brand pool stores in town. Every store had different results. The "fixes" ranged from $50 to $150! "You say the water looks good but our tests shows it needs....."

TFP all the way for me. I tell everyone that will listen about it.

Kim

For me, it actually started while I was watching a pool tech try to open the black water cesspool that was my foreclosure swamp, while gagging on the wafting sulphur and ammonia that permeated the yard and nearby house when he peeled the cover back. Thanks to google and the phrase "foreclosure swamp" I learned enough in a few days to only rack up $700 on pool guy's futile efforts, and unlike pool guy, actually get it clear in 12 days of shock and awe ;)

I was pretty motivated...the stench was awful and I was pretty certain his five gallons of chlorine and the six bags of "shock" he left me with wasn't going to touch it.

In fairness, he wasn't a total moron or anything -- short of a trash pump (but we had water table and well issues) or camping out at my house there was no way he could have broken the back on the ammonia. He still opens and closes for me since the cover is too unwieldy for my druthers. ...and is always amazed at my legendary, now Trouble Free Pool and its sparklypants water ;)

I bought a home with a pool and didn't know anything about them; all because the wife wanted a pool. I tried using the pool store for guidance in return for purchasing their chemicals. The first (and only) time my pool went green, they could not offer anything to correct it. I thought to myself, so thing is wrong here and looked for another source of information. I haven't set foot in that store again. Everything I need to know is listed here by overly generous members willing to help. This site has changed my life. I pass the knowledge on to anyone who wants to independent of the pool store.

And to makes things even sweeter, I can only smile when everyone tells me how good my pool looks!

Thanks again to the wonderful people here!

My story starts the same, but is different than everyone else. We also bought a house with a pool in the fall and the pool was closed when we moved in. In the spring the pool store that built the pool contacted us about opening and suggested I attend their free "pool school" if we wanted to maintain the pool ourselves. Knowing nothing of pools I went, where they explained the various chemicals, parts of the pool, etc. This is where my story gets different. They hammered in two things, you can't maintain a pool without a good test kit, and had lots of horror stories about copper and other side effects from random chemicals home owners have dumped in their pools, so I ended up leaving the store with one item, the only test kit they sold, the k-2006.

One part I remember clearly. Pool store: "You can't maintain a pool with test strips", some customer objected, so they changed their statement "You can maintain a pool for a while with test strips, when it turns green call us."

A month later we opened the pool to a CYA off the charts. The pool store warned me not to drain the vinyl liner down more than 8" and said I'll probably have to do it a few times. After 5 20% drain and fills and still above 100 CYA, I decided to start searching for alternatives. Also in their "pool school" they alluded to maintaining a pool with CYA higher than 50 but didn't recommend it, and mentioned their ranges for the other numbers were not valid in that case, so I decided to investigate what that was about and if anyone had a better way to lower CYA and found this site. I found out what the pool store taught me was mostly true, but I like the details from this site knowing why it works the way it does so much better.

So I'm not sure if the previous owner knew they were selling and decided to use up any remaining tri-chlor or if it was because it was a bad drought that summer, but without that high CYA I may have never gotten curious and found this site. I think the pool store method of our pool store matches close enough I may not have had any problems.

FYI I ended up lowering CYA by shutting down the pump and starting a siphon from the skimmer at the shallow end, and setting up a matching fill in the deep end. Since the fill water was still cold I think I minimized mixing and after 3 days of that 10,000 gallons later with almost no work I was down to 70 where I called it good to start the first year. In total 30,000 gallons to get my CYA I estimate was above 300 down to 70 for a 20,000 gal pool. Luckily water is cheap here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.