How can I properly take care of my robot?

allan1622

Dec 15, 2022
South Florida
We just spent a hefty amount on a Nautliusimage.jpg (so far so good) but I want to know how to best take care of it. I obviously didn’t wrap the cable because (see photo). Any tips? I don’t have the caddy and currently can’t justify the purchase.

After every use, I throughly hose it off with fresh water and let it dry.

Thank you! Grateful to have such a great resource like TFP.

Well, what your doing now is the top of the list for care. (Many just leave ours in the pool, including me). When you take it out make sure to either put it in its own holder, or put it on its side so that your not smooshing the rollers up.
Make sure the "juice"- power box is protected from rain and other water.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You didn’t ask this but…
that outlet is very close to the pool. You want to ensure that the power supply box cannot be dragged into the water or you risk someone in the pool being electrocuted.
There are keyhole tabs on the back you can use to hang it on the wall etc. (like a picture)
As Maddie mentioned the power supply is not weatherproof just weather resistant.
Full sun/heat isn’t really great for it either.
Many here have built a shelter for theirs.
Mine permanently lives inside my deck box so I don’t have to worry about it. When the weather gets really hot I just leave the box cracked open but its still protected if it rains.
To keep the cord less twisty you can spin the bot a little after each run or so to get the cord going right and then loop up the excess cable. I leave my bot in the pool usually but I make an effort to loop up the cable each day or so. Mainly because I am ocd & don’t want trip hazards.
As the water/weather warms up the cable will get less stiff so if you have any kinks you can stretch the cable out on the warm deck in the sun for a bit.

Make sure the "juice"- power box is protected from rain and other water.
My controller is in one of these boxes: Sockitbox, Large

The box sits on the ground, shaded but basically unprotected, and it has kept the controller dry through even the torrential downpours we've had this year. I'm very happy with it.

Like many others here, I leave the robot in the pool year-round and only remove it if it's in the way or its basket needs to be emptied.

Oh, and because the controller is in a box, I don't use its buttons to run the robot. Instead, I put it in "automation mode" (which just makes the robot run for up to two hours whenever AC power to the controller switches from off to on) and I plugged it into a WiFi smart socket. It's scheduled by the system that automates the rest of my house, but it could also just be controlled by my phone.

Last edited:
Allan,

I doubt anything that you can do will actually have any effect on how long your Robot lasts.

About the only thing I do for my Dolphin robots is to take them out of the pool once a week and pull the cable straight and lay it on the deck for a while...

I've found keeping them in the pool or taking them out does not seem to matter at all.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm one of those pool owners that put the robot in and take it out after every use. I store the robot and controller in a dry place. I don't worry about the controller getting wet. I just don't use it on a rainy day.