how are my levels?

I just checked my CYA levels, and now it's looking more like a CYA of 50. I haven't added any stabilizer, so I guess perhaps my initial readings were "clouded" by the fact that I'm new to this....

so, if my CYA is 50, and I've been shocking at a level of about 42, I've basically been wasting bleach?

So, I've been shocking all day, based on a CYA of 42, but after testing CYA again (indoors, because it's been overcast all day), it looks like my CYA is actually between 50 and 60....

Last test last night my FC was 19. When I tested before sun hit the pool this morning, it was 12.5

I've added bleach 7 times today....

FC 17.5

FC 15.5

FC 13.5

FC 21.5 (1:15 pm)

FC 18.5 (2:40 pm)

FC 14.5 (4:00 pm)

FC 16 (4:45 pm)

The last time I tested was when I retested CYA, and am not seeing results of between 50 and 60 for CYA.

I figured I'd use a CYA of 55 as my guide for shocking, so I just added enough bleach to bring FC to 22.

Based on my FC consumption (on a mostly overcast day), is it safe to assume that I'd be better off using CYA 55 as my number to find my FC shock level?

Is a CYA of 55 going to mean that I'm going to have a much harder time maintaining FC levels?

Don't forget, you can shock anywhere between recommended shock level and mustard algae level, it may benefit you to hit it harder if you drop below shock level before you can get it back up.

CYA of 55 just means you have to raise your FC level to shock, it doesn't mean it'll be harder to maintain necessarily.

EDIT: Based on your last post, it sounds like you are making progress.

GuinnessPhish said:
While shocking, is it safe to swim? What is the maximum FC level I can swim at?
Generally speaking, if FC is between min and normal shock level for the CYA level, the water is clear enough to see swimmers (for possible rescue) and CC is .5 or less, then yes, it is okay to swim.

ARGH!

Performed the overnight chlorine test.....

went from FC 22 to FC 15.

Just added another 182 oz of 6% bleach, skimmed and brushed the pool. There was a dead mouse in my skimmer basket.

I'm going to be checking FC level a couple more times before I leave for work at 9:15, but I'm going to be gone all day and won't arrive back home until around 11:30 pm....

what should I do? bring FC up to 30 before I leave for work?

Once alive, now dead in a skimmer isn't exactly beneficial.

29 according to Pool Calculator is MA level. I assume (without checking) the CYA chart is at least 30ppm.

So yes, dose to 30ppm and leave it. Best that you can do today.

POP for you, we sell it free. One dead mouse... you get two POP's for today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, not 35. MA level is about as high as you'll want to go so stick with 30ppm for now. Theoretically you're losing 2ppm per hour but I think that will slow down overnight and you'll still be above shock level tomorrow morning.

I think I might have made progress....

I was able to test again at 2:20 AM and my FC was 29, so my reading before that at 1:15 of FC 29 was incorrect....I must have mis - counted drops. The reading at 2:20 AM was definitely accurate though, so I decided to use that number as my last reading for the day for the overnight test.

My current reading at 8:15 am is FC of 28 - 28.5 (water went mostly clear, but needed one more drop to become totally clear).

Based on my assumption that my CYA is actually 60, I can actually keep my FC level up around 22 and be fine for swimming?

I'm going to be heading out of town on Friday evening, and not returning until Sunday evening.... If I bring FC level up to 35 on friday night, that should hold me over until Sunday night, right? Is that a recommended way of taking care of the pool for a couple of days while you're not around?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.