Houston, we have a problem! Am I screwed?

zapados

Aug 13, 2016
Merrimack, NH
I accidentally drained the pool too low, and when we got our first big snow, it did some damage. It appears some of the legs of the pool were dragged, and in 1 section the sheet metal side popped out of the track.

Check out these pictures.

#1:001_damaged_AGP_overview_2024-04-19.jpg

#2:002_damage_AGP_wall_warped_2024-04-19.jpg

#3 & #4:003_damaged_AGP_slipped_track_2024-04-19.jpg004_damaged_AGP_slipepd_track_pushed_on_2024-04-19.jpg

#5 & #6:005_2024-04-19_15-57-54_853.jpg006_damage_AGP_liner_shot_2024-04-19.jpg

#7:007_damaged_AGP_tilted_wall_2024-04-19.jpg

Note: the #4 photo is me pushing on the bulge in the #3 photo with my leg, to show how it's slipped the track.

What would you do? Can I salvage this for another season of swimming? Should I call my local pool company and see if they can fix it?

Thank you for your expertise!

When you say salvage, do you mean try to make it work without taking the liner out and re-leveling track, wall and supports? I sure wouldn’t do that.

It appears in the photos that nothing is actually damaged, though, so if that is the case I’d remove liner, re-do everything, and get a new liner because I’d be leery of trying to re-use. Other folks may have more to say.

Reactions: zapados
When you say salvage, do you mean try to make it work without taking the liner out and re-leveling track, wall and supports? I sure wouldn’t do that.

It appears in the photos that nothing is actually damaged, though, so if that is the case I’d remove liner, re-do everything, and get a new liner because I’d be leery of trying to re-use. Other folks may have more to say.
Yeah...like, can I just pull it back somehow and re-insert the metal wall into that track thing? The vinyl liner doesn't seem to have come out at all from what I can see.

Looking at #4, do you have gravel on BOTH sides of the track? Where is your cove (sand or foam)? That is not right.

Normally I would say *maybe* you can get it back together without replacing the liner, you could try but the liner has a good chance tearing. But not with #4 in the mix.

It does not look like anything is bent or creased (at least from the pictures). If that is the case, the pool is salvageable. But it would remove the liner. Inspect everything, make sure the bottom is correct - sand and a cover (having a correct cove on an ABG is very important), rebuild everything level, square, plumb, round, etc. Then a new liner (the old one is going to tear if you try to reuse it)

Reactions: zapados
Looking at #4, do you have gravel on BOTH sides of the track? Where is your cove (sand or foam)? That is not right.

Normally I would say *maybe* you can get it back together without replacing the liner, you could try but the liner has a good chance tearing. But not with #4 in the mix.

It does not look like anything is bent or creased (at least from the pictures). If that is the case, the pool is salvageable. But it would remove the liner. Inspect everything, make sure the bottom is correct - sand and a cover (having a correct cove on an ABG is very important), rebuild everything level, square, plumb, round, etc. Then a new liner (the old one is going to tear if you try to reuse it)
That's 2 votes for basically a full or partial tear-down, oof!

What am I looking at financially if I had someone do the work of fixing it up, and installing a new liner? I'm in southern NH. Am I pushing the price of the pool at that point?

It's feeling like it might be "decision time" as all of our expenses have been high lately...pool might not be in the cards anymore. :cry:

Last edited:
You can purchase a new liner online -pool warehouse, pool factory, etc.

I would call around for install.