Houston, TX Pool Build Diary - From Design to Dive-In

I was wondering about your pool build after not seeing anything posted for some time.

I'm not surprised about the Stormwater Permit issues since it took several months to get mine from the City of Houston. Even after my wife made a visit to the office to move it along.

It should be past you soon and then the dig. It the pool is half as nice as your new patio area it is going to be something special.

We really like that classic "old school" swimming pool color. Since we are only going to 5.5' max depth and most of the pool will really only be 4' and a big sun shelf, we figured we'd need to pick a finish that had some blue in it to help it along. Our builder set us up to look at two finishes we thought would do it. Cool Blue and White diamonds. White Diamonds was first and we were kind of like "meh..." when we saw it. When we walked into the yard with the Cool Blue, my wife and I looked at each other and we just said, "OK, yup. Done." It took all of about 10 seconds to confirm that was the choice.

So you didn't consider Smurf???

Ha! Yes, we actually did look closely at the build posts with smurf when it first came out. Very pretty. The lighter blue still just stuck with us as a favorite. Honestly though, I don't know if it's even possible to pick a bad pool color from the standard available selections. I have yet to see a single build thread here that I said "wow, now that is one ugly pool color"

plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We're trying to get more decisions made on finish materials. Here's what's done and what's pending for the big stuff:

Plaster: PebbleSheen Cool Blue w/Shimmering Sea. Maybe Luminous (waiting to see it in real life somewhere)

Waterline Tile: Not Decided Yet, but leaning towards ice/clear or very light blue glass brick.

Overflow Spa Tile: NPT OceanScapes Blackies (pending final price check). See Pic below of it....

Raised Beam Wall Tile: Keegan Green Ledgestone (Dark Grey Quartzite Stacked Stone as used already in our patio. Link in my Signature to see it)

"Floating Steps": Not Decided Yet. In my head I see these as 24x42x5 large chiseled steps out of Kentucky Bluestone or similar

Waterfall Wall: Keegan Green Ledge with 3 or 4 large chiseled steps embedded to create a water feature. Still need to finalize that design though.

Decking & Coping: Travertine. Maybe Cream of Wheat color. Large paver (24x36) in brick Pattern.

Here is the Spa overflow tile mentioned above that we want. In a perfect world, or installation would look pretty much exactly like this except with Cool Blue Pebble. We are looking at possibly going with darker plaster or cheaper black glass tile inside the spa. That will end up being budget driven though...

plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.