Hours per day to run filter pump + mesh/solid cover replacement?

pilotx1982

Jun 5, 2023
New Jersey
Two Part Question:

So, when they opened up the pool, they set up the timer to 12 hours. I read online that 8-12 hours is ok. My pool has not had many issues and all I do is add liquid chlorine to PPM in accordance with CYA level. The chemistry has been good since I opened it in the middle of May. I also use a Dolphin 3X a week and that has it's own filter per se. I have a Century UST1152 PUMP. If I reduce it to 8 hours from 12 hours is that sufficient?

Right now I have a mesh safety/winter cover, one of the companies that I got a quote from for opening said I need to replace the safety cover, but the company I hired did not mention anything. I guess I can wait and not replace, but if do replace the cost to close will be complementary (closing with filter cleaning is about $700 in North NJ) and they use some vendor in the area that has a decent product (Kayden). I have no idea how old the cover is. Here is a photo. Does it still look ok?

Thanks

IMG_6CD0C57A64EE-1.jpeg

Welcome -
I believe that's a single speed pump. 12 hours is consuming a lot of electricity, 8 hours still quite a lot.

Pumps only need to run long enough to:
1) Skim pool effectively
2) Satisfy flow demands from a Heater/SWCG
3) Filter fine particulate

Your pump may only need 1 hour of pump time. It may need 4 - it's up to you to find out when you're no longer satisfied with the amount of run time. There's no such thing as "turnover", so don't worry about GPM, etc.

With that said - you should really consider replacing with a variable speed pump. A VSP will pay for itself very quickly (1/5 to 1/10 the power usage) and gives you infinitely more flexibility. Most of us run low RPMs 24/7.

I agree that cover looks not long for this world, so consider replacing when able.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.