Hotspot FPH AC heat reclamation pool heater - a review!

This looks like a wonderful system for extending our pool season in May, June, and Oct when we still use a lot of AC but the pool is a bit too cold for swimming. Does anyone know if it is possible to install this on a 2-speed HVAC compressor (not variable speed, just two speeds high and low) and does that make it a lot more complex for the HVAC technician? Also my pool equipment room is only 15 ft from the HVAC unit and I wonder if I can just have the condenser lines run to this room, or if I really have to run long water pipes instead to keep the heat exchanger location super close to the HVAC unit for efficiency.

It's funny, on the forums I see that some of the theoretical thinkers tend to dismiss this equipment idea, while just about everyone who actually has one seems to love it.
I don't believe it matters to the hotspot whether the fan is variable speed or 2 speed. When wired as shown in the diagram the fan is either de-energized or energized and Hotspot doesn't give any consideration to any other factor with the fan. As for the condenser lines and running them 15 ft. I suspect you COULD but it will increase the poundage of refrigerant in your system right? Out here in Florida, I pay ~150$ a lb for the refrigerant.... not cheap though i suppose it's generally a one time cost. You'd need to let your HVAC tech guide you on whether that's too long of a run with losing cooling on the lines. Maybe it's as easy as insulating them? :shrugs:
As for loving the system. I do indeed. I've had mine for the better part of 2.5 years now and it SAVED my family in the dead of summer last year when the fan on my AC went out under warranty but it took the technician a full week to get the replacement fan in in 95 degree florida summer. I just turned on my FPH (usually off in the dead of summer since i want the water to be cooler when it's as hot as Satan's taint) and set my desired heat of the pool water to the max and was able to still run my AC despite there being no fan!
and our experience has been that we're able to start swimming in mid 80's water by as early as mid March and last year I still swam the weekend after Halloween.... Good luck! We love ours!

Reactions: DD Urchin
This looks like a wonderful system for extending our pool season in May, June, and Oct when we still use a lot of AC but the pool is a bit too cold for swimming. Does anyone know if it is possible to install this on a 2-speed HVAC compressor (not variable speed, just two speeds high and low) and does that make it a lot more complex for the HVAC technician? Also my pool equipment room is only 15 ft from the HVAC unit and I wonder if I can just have the condenser lines run to this room, or if I really have to run long water pipes instead to keep the heat exchanger location super close to the HVAC unit for efficiency.

It's funny, on the forums I see that some of the theoretical thinkers tend to dismiss this equipment idea, while just about everyone who actually has one seems to love it.
IIRC Hotspot said 2 speed is fine, but you might want to talk to them to confirm. I can't think of why that would make the install any more complex - if the AC is on in either speed you'd want the pool pump to be sending water to the heat exchanger. For that 15 foot distance, I'd recommend running the water over to the AC unit and putting the heat exchanger there rather than the other way around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.