hotspot energy heater for free pool heating

michmike

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 11, 2011
Houston, TX, USA
hey all, i did several searches on this site and it seems we have a few folks that have installed the heat recovery system by hotspot, FPH (Heat Recovery Pool Heater | Compare To Solar Pool Heater | HotSpot Energy LLC).

Even though we live in houston, our pool does not see as much sun during the day and it has been traditionally cold. Our existing natural gas heater is dying and i am looking for a greener solution. FPH seems to offer that and i understand all the pros and cons of that solution.

Has anyone installed this in Houston? I am looking for recommendations of HVAC contractors to do the installation. I read some bad install stories and i want to avoid that situation.

thanks in advance!

I got nothing to offer help other than ask around for a good HVAC company.

I'm glad that this looks like a good solution to you, I've heard the cost is mostly the same but you one have that ac fan bugging you as much

thanks! that's what i am doing as well. I am hoping some fellow TFP might give me a recommendation as well.

I forgot to mention my wife likes our house a little cold with low humidity %. Given it is an older house and not super efficient, and the humidity and high temps in houston are pretty bad, our AC ends up running several hours per day, especially April-Nov. FPH will help reduce the burden on the outdoor condenser and fan (and save a small bit in electricity), will cool the refrigerant better and possibly reduce the burden in the inside-the-house-AC-system, and also provide free heating of my pool so the kids can swim more.

Look for HVAC contractors that specialize in creative / green solutions. Stay away from your standard contractor -- they have too much normal work to do and will not want to take on something with a learning curve.

Ever since getting a pool, I wondered about this. My pump is not that far from the outdoor units. thx for posting
Please let us know if you get this quoted so you can share the costs.

EDIT:
Review here
Hotspot FPH AC heat reclamation pool heater - a review!!

yep, @joshii that replied above created the goldmine of that review. i am well aware of the pros and cons of this solution and it would work well for my needs if i can find someone reliable to install it. The biggest problem people had is from bad installations

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.