Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
No problem here, just a lesson, or maybe more of a PSA. :)

Was on vacation for 8 days and came back to still TFP clear water and FC still above target. I raised to SLAM before I left for insurance in case the SWCG or pump went out from loss of power or whatever - we had a lot of storms.

Decided I should give things a thorough brushing and also move stairs and brush behind them. Then I recalled that early in season I needed to get the stairs in for a family gathering but most of my bleach bottles filled w quikrete were developing large cracks and only had 2 empties on hand that I could refill, which wasn't quite enough. No problem, when I replaced my pool last year the guy tossed in a bunch of random freebies which included a clear container to fill with sand and weigh down a ladder. Grabbed that, filled it up and kind of forgot about it.... until last night when I decided I should inspect in addition to brushing.

Wow! And gross!

If I wasn't running hot, who knows what I may have come home to?

20230716_163455.jpg

Jim Carrey Vomit GIF

Bottles with lids of all kinds have their problems.
I intend to eventually go with capped pvc pipes.
Thank you for the reminder! I had planned to replace bleach bottles with capped pvc as they deteriorated, but forgot all about it.

The advantage of bleach bottles is they have a handle and are built to sit upright, so I guess the pvc pipes may sit on their side like stacked logs? Any thought on what size pipe would make the most sense? Would you fill with quickrete or go with gravel or something like that? I've always thought quikrete just because it would be easier to clean up large chunks if something goes wrong, but seems much less likely with pvc.

Thx
Paul

Quickcrete is the heaviest so may require less weights. I currently hang my jugs under my steps with a rope but they are deteriorating on year 5. I haven’t quite figured out how I will deal with the pipes. There’s no where to set weights under my steps - it’s totally open.

. I haven’t quite figured out how I will deal with the pipes. There’s no where to set weights under my steps - it’s totally open.
Use the ones you already have, or drill some strategic new holes and zip tie the pipes to the inside. Use white zip ties and nobody will ever know.

Use the ones you already have, or drill some strategic new holes and zip tie the pipes to the inside. Use white zip ties and nobody will ever know.
The trouble is how to do this with the weights under/inside the steps & myself on the outside of the steps while they are in the water. Once I get enough weights attached to keep them from moving- well, they don’t move lol 😂
Currently I have my “helper” fish the long rope tied to the jugs to me with the jugs sitting on the floor underneath the almost in place steps then from above on the deck I pull the rope tight & quickly tie it which suspends the jugs from the steps & we lower the now very heavy steps in their correct position. Its a real pain in the rear!

Also, the way I have it now I can untie the rope - move the steps , pull them out to remove the hand rail & clean them then put them back & hook the rope with the brush then place the jugs on the 3rd step for their winter nap all from the outside of the 60 degree pool in the fall.
I may just replace my jugs with new ones & hot glue the caps or something. The tape under the caps works about 50% of the time to keep water out.

What about an eye bolt in the cap ? (caulked on the inside) Then do as you've always done with the rope.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a shelf under my steps so that makes things easier, though I just picture the pvc pipes rolling right off.

And after this conversation, I'm leaning towards staying with bleach bottles and some teflon tape on the caps! 😀

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
And after this conversation, I'm leaning towards staying with bleach bottles and some teflon tape on the caps! 😀
This comment just made me realize that maybe it's the bottles of bleach that are the problem. They're vented, albeit a tiny amount. By nature they'll let water in eventually. Another container such as a milk jug wouldn't.

I thought about that, but I've never had an issue with the bleach bottles, at least not one that I'm aware of. I do take care to fill them up to the top leaving little space for the algae hotel pictured above! But, hard to argue that capped pvc wouldn't be better, at least as it relates to being sealed up.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.