Hot tub vs. inground spa

You can get a Hot Springs spa that just has exterior plywood shell ready for brick, rock, tile, siding, whatever so you can make it match the pool, house or deck. Other spa manufacturers may have this option as well. So it is possible to integrate a freestanding spa into the landscaping with an option like that.

phonedave said:
I never put a meter on it to check, but my in-laws also have a fully insulated free standing spa. They keep it at temp (104 or so) all year round and use it every day.

When not in use, they keep the insulated cover on it as well.

They do use the jets when in it.

They say it did not add much at all to their electric bill. $10 - $20 a month.

That is part of my back and forth with a intergrated pool spa or a free standing. Sure the spill over spas look great, but we plan on using a spa 300+ days a year. I would like not to go broke heating it.

-dave

I'd like to add a of couple things in regards to power consumption.

Obviously price/kWHr is key, but your location will greatly influence your utility costs. Here in the North East, you can expect your electric bill to increase a lot more than $10 during the winter months, even for a fully-insulated, quality tub from a reputable manufacturer. Keep in mind that these full foam tubs aren't really "full" as the insulation in the equipment bay is minimal for maintenance purposes. Usage patterns will also play a major role in the equation. An hour long soak 4-5 times a week with cold ambient temps will spin that meter significantly. Also, using the jets during a soak is not the only consideration. Most tubs are set to run at least one of the jet pumps for a couple hours a day for circulation/filtration and flushing of pipes, even if it's equipped with a 24-hr circ pump. Metering the tub is really the only way know exactly how much power the tub uses, but just for reference: Jacuzzi provides metered data on all their tubs under test condtions. Even a mid-sized spa from their luxury line used $15/month in ideal or what I would term unrealistic conditions. Tub temp @ 101 in 60 deg ambient, covered...with ZERO usage.

As I said, I have not metered their tub (I for the amount of current the heater draws, I don't think the meter I have would handle it)

Theirs is in a sheltered spot (right near the walkout basement wall and under a deck). It does cycle for circulation every so often, and they do keep it covered and at a lower temp than use temp. This is in NE New Jersey, so we do get some winter weather here :)

Again, I just go by what they say. I thought the estimate was low, but they said it was not that much. Maybe they stopped using something else when they got the tub.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.