Hot Springs Ball Valve Drain Leaking

Jmbooth1985

Oct 19, 2023
Memphis, TN
Hello All - I recently did a drain and refill for the fall/winter season coming up! When I went outside to check the chemical the next morning, I noticed a small "puddle" of water near the drain. After inspecting, it seemed as though the water was leaking through the ball valve. I took a paper towel and wiped the water out of the drain then watched water "seep" through the ball vale at a very slow rate. I put something underneath the drain, left, and came back a few hours and it was dry. My thought process was to angle the drain down to make sure the water was coming from that ball valve. After about 4 hours of removing the item underneath the drain, it was completely dry. I thought maybe that I just left the valve open a tiny bit. I felt good until I went out there this morning and saw another very small amount of water in the drain itself. My thought it that the seal on the ball valve is going bad and allowing water to go through. Would this be a correct assessment?

Additionally, I have a hot spring flair that is 3 years old. I also think it's important to note that weather is dropping about 20-30 degrees from peak of day to low at night. I think maybe the temperature is contributing to the seal leaking a little, which explains why I didn't see any leaking for the 4ish hours when i removed the item from angling the drain.

Pictures below and any help would be greatly appreciated! I do want to note that the water on the concrete pad that you see is not all from the drip. I opened the valve to make sure the seal was "sitting" correctly. Just wanted to clarify that before someone says that seems like a lot of water when it is truly just a "minor drip".

Attachments

• Drain 1.jpg
    Drain 1.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 8
  • Drain 2.jpg
    Drain 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 9
  • Drain 3.jpg
    Drain 3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 9
Hey neighbor 👋
Not sure how easy it would be to just replace the valve (although it looks like it just unscrews).
Mine only has a cap (no valve) and its fine. If the threads are the same you could just remove the valve & put on the cap till you get the valve replaced or just leave it alone with the cap on.
This looks like your part

Hey neighbor 👋
Not sure how easy it would be to just replace the valve (although it looks like it just unscrews).
Mine only has a cap (no valve) and its fine. If the threads are the same you could just remove the valve & put on the cap till you get the valve replaced or just leave it alone with the cap on.
This looks like your part
Yep! Are you in the Memphis area? I had the part and drained my hot tub and replaced it a couple hours ago. It literally just was hand screwed in. That being said, the gasket / seal was missing, so pretty sure that was my issue. Not sure why it didn't leak before or it was so minor that I never noticed. As I previously mentioned in my earlier post, seems to only leak in the early am, which i am contributing to the cold weather. It's not enough to really do anything but figured I would rather be safe then sorry!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.