Hot Green Pool

Gex

Apr 4, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
Pool cover brought the pool temp to over 90F in Las Vegas and I wasn't paying attention to chlorine levels.

Take the cover off today and I decided to run the dolphin pool cleaner, sure enough the whole pool turns green. There was plenty of algae (or whatever) on the bottom already, but it just looked like dark (green) dirt. Also, it smelled like sewage. Really awful.

My pool size is about 10,000 gallons and I just added some very fresh bleach (May 18 2018 Production date) 10% Pool essentials brand 3 gallons

I'm hoping by the morning it will be crystal clear :D

In any event I will check levels tomorrow morning, but can't check CYA because I ran out of the testing chemical. My guess is 100 for CYA.
PH and TA was balanced 3 weeks ago when I checked.

Will post my update tomorrow morning.... although I'm wondering if I should add a 4th bottle of bleach right now.

Use Pool Math to decide if you need more FC to achieve SLAM level. We have no test results to know for sure what needs done.

Look much better this morning, although there is a slight green tinge. Pool filter was disgustingly green.

Went to Leslies and they said my CYA was 40 but phosphates are at 500. Not sure how reliable that last number is right now since I added 4 gallons of 10% bleach.

They also had Taylor CYA 2oz R0013 for $10 so I grabbed that to test it myself, surprisingly my result was also 40

So for shock I need to keep FC at around 16-20, I measured it this morning and I over did it a little, it's at 48

I think I need to increase CYA a little since the Las Vegas sun is brutal and destroys chlorine pretty quickly... Only reason I thought my CYA would be much higher is because I was using pucks every so often in the winter time... did the pucks go bad or something?

ETA: Also my pool was never as green as the pool on the SLAM page, if that was 10/10 for Green Darnkess Level, mine was probably a 6/10... I would say it's 2 or 3/10 right now

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.