Hook up 3-pin Intellivalve to 2-pin 'Solar' on IntelliCenter?

qwert189

Jul 8, 2022
Detroit, Michigan
Hello!

I'm configuring an intellicenter for my new pool. I have a three way intellivalve w/ actuator, where the left output goes to the solar heating panels, (which loops back and Tees into the returns), and the right output bypasses the solar and goes straight to the returns.

I need a three-way valve because the solar system can only handle ~20gpm, so the idea is to leave the three way open to both when solar is enabled, and close the solar side when the temp is low.

My question is that the intellicenter's 'Solar' connector only has two pins, while the intellivalve actuator has 3 pins, which surprised me. I can attach it to the 'Valve A' connector and get it working manually, but when it's independent like that it won't look at the 'solar' temp and activate, and while I could probably have the valve go on and off while the sun is up, I'd prefer it to properly hook to the special 'Solar' connector so it does it all automatically based on temp.

Is there some kind of 3->2 pin adaptor I should be using? Some other solution I haven't thought of? Why is are the Solar, heater and other connectors all 2-pin in the first place? I'd expect them to all be on intellivalves.

Thanks!

Found a few others in the 'similar threads' after I posted (I searched prior to posting, but somehow missed these), going to try these out and see how it goes. Looks like maybe I'm supposed to connect to 'Valve A' and do some additional configuration (which kind of sucks because I already was using Valve A/B for deck jets and skimmer, and now I might need an expansion port). Wish me luck!

Thread 1

Thread 2

The Solar Aux Circuit is to connect a high voltage relay to the socket that can turn a booster pump ON/OFF with the solar valve.

Reactions: qwert189
Yes, you'll need an expansion board for additional valve control. Others have used a SPDT relay with an AUX relay to control an additional valve.

You can control an actuator using a high voltage AUX relay using this circuit. Aux relays use two wires - 24 VDC and ground. Valve actuators use three wires - two 24 VAC lines and ground. AC on one line will turn the valve one way and AC on the other line will turn the valve the other way.

You could use the Aux relay to control the 24 VAC so that it will turn the valve using the following circuit. But normal Aux relays won't work as they do not have any Normally Closed contacts. You need a relay that has NC and NO contacts.

Actuator_control_circuit.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.