Holy murky Batman, no clear return water!

simicrintz said:
I'm on my ninth year with my cart's, Roland, and I know of those same filters that have 12+ years on them and have not needed replacement! I have a pretty good idea who you may have talked to (could it be MM from MP :cool: ), and I would really love to take a look at the inside of your filter before you go and do anything drastic (like buy new cart's!).

The "damage" is done as to what the pool looks like now! We can fix it though, so hang in there! This is easy, and I know from experience......

Roland,

I'd take your neighbor up on the offer :goodjob: Bruce has been with us for quite some time...hey some pool pro advice and a friednly chat over a beer :cheers: sounds good to me :lol:

Looks like Roland and I are going to get together to look at some dirty filter cartridges on Monday :goodjob: All because of TFP!

I'm starting to get nervous already; I better wear a clean shirt............ :cool:

Hi all,

Well, a sincere message of thank you to Bruce. He came over yesterday and helped with the systems. We opened the filter -- of course the cartridges were loaded with gunk, in part because I put a lot of DE in under the "hope" that it would help to filter out the cloudiness. We hosed of the cartridges, inspected thoroughly, and we could find no holes or any real damage to them. Bruce is very experienced with this exact filter and didn't see a need to replace them.

So, put it all back together. We emptied to the spa (into the pool) and then refilled it with the pool water to see how cloudy the water is now passing through the cleaned filter -- yes, still cloudy.

The measurements (my Taylor kit still hasn't arrived, so Bruce did the water tests):
FC: .5
Total Chlorine: -4.5
TDS: 1,200
ph: 7.6
Calcium Harness: 250
TA: 70
Cyuranic: 40
Combined Chlorine: 5

Bottom line. Added 3 more bottles of 12% chlorine and also added just a bit of DE (about 4 handfuls).
We are going to let it run for 3 days or so and see if it will clear up. I'll keep it topped of with chlorine.

Thanks again Bruce!

Roland

I had a feeling bruce would come through for you :goodjob: From those results, you clearly need to shock. Something is off on you TC calc though as TC = FC + CC, but either way your CC is high :shock:

With CYA at 40, your shock level is 16ppm, which for a 28k gal pool is just under 4 Gals of 12% and then you need to keep adding chlorine as frequently as possible to maintain that FC of 16, until the water clears. If you can stand by the pool and add chlorine every few hours during the shock cycle, you can safely overshoot the 16ppm target by 4-5 ppm. Given your high CC level adding 4gals as a initial dose would be better. Good luck with the filtering issue :goodjob:

Thanks for the nice words, Roland, and for your trust, dmanb2b! It was good to go see Roland (you guys should see the cool 4 wheel drive VW Vanagon he has!) and see what he is up against!

His FC was at .5, and his CC's were at 5. Very green water, but definitely fixable (using BBB!). He does have the 12.5% chlorine up at the house, but he is using the test kit for now that only goes to 5 ppm on FC, so it will be a bit of a challenge to accurately check his FC. I had mentioned to throw in 4 gallons last night and another two in this morning, since the test kit has not arrived yet. Maybe I'll have time to check back in later today (I'll call first Roland!).

This is going to be another TFP success story! I can't wait until it is all clean and sparkly again!!

Hi Bruce, I misunderstood about much chlorine to put in, just added the 4th bottle this morning, will go out and get some more later today. Hopefully the Taylor "real" test kit will be delivered today.

Also, since you mentioned it, a little of topic, but yeah the Syncro is my favorite car. Figured I pass on some info, here are some starting points:
http://www.syncro.org/
Most common for sale site: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=55 (search on "Syncro")
Email group: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Syncro/

Roland

Keep me posted on the clarity, and I can come and retest the water if your kit doesn't come soon enough!

Man, I wish I had some "fun tickets" left to punch so that I could go get one of those VW's! I can see the fun I'd have in one of those already (and for taking this off topic, it's your post so I would think you could take this anywhere you want :lol: ).

Ok, so here is an update.

I wanted to make sure to restate that the problem with my pool is that the filter doesn't remove the cloudiness, and allows particles back in the pool. I have no question that BBB or proper water chemistry is going to keep me away from the problem in the future.

Here are some updates and status.
So, it has been running 24 hrs. for about 5 days now.
I vacuumed it on Tuesday, 2 days ago.
Have kept chlorine high (not sure exactly how high), the Taylor arrived yesterday and am just learning.
There is no visible green left in the pool. There is lots of whitish stuff.
I vacuumed it again this morning, added 2 more bottles of 12%
Filter pressure was approaching 30 lbs.
This morning I cleaned the filters again. Added 4 handfuls of DE.
Startup pressure was 17 lbs.
There is very little large debris left in the bottom, mostly just the whitish powder stuff. Of course I can't see any of the bottom so I am vacuuming by feel. But I can tell how much debris is coming up by how often I have to clean the catch basin by the pump which grabs all the large stuff.

So, a few observations.
1. obviously the filter carts are cleaning somewhat, because the pressure went up.
2. the water cloudiness is no better (see pics below).
3. during vacuuming, there is still much cloudiness that comes back into the pool through the filter. This didn't happen with my old DE filter which I had in the 90s.

So.....hmm....
- so far I am in about $75.00 of electricity for pumping and $45.00 of chlorine. I could have had a crystal clear pool by now by refilling for roughly the same cost.
- I didn't do that, since it would not have helped to isolate the problem with the filter, why it doesn't remove this cloudiness?
- I have 3 known options.
1. keep down this path with the old carts (24 hr filter, lots of chlorine), there has been some advice that this could work. But the progress so far is isn't giving me much hope :( , perhaps I am too impatient? , and if it doesn't work I'll have to do 2. or 3. below anyway.
2. buy new carts and start it all over. (probably around $500) With little confidence that the new carts will clear the cloudy water in case this ever happens again.
3. convert to the DE (most expensive, probably around $1000)
- with my old DE filter, I had never had a problem getting rid of the cloudiness, after cleaning (not just backflushing) and reloading with DE it always came back crystal clear (well at least 95% clear).

Other things:
- talked to the owner of the local pool shop when I picked up chlorine, he (like everybody else) of course acknowledged that the carts don't clean as well as a DE filter.
- He suggested a TSP soak, but I can't understand this given the problem with my pool. Seems a DE soak, or a chlorine bath soak (Bruce's suggestion) would help to remove particles and gunk from the carts. But that isn't the problem I am having, seems the problem with my carts is that they don't catch enough cloudiness; how would these soaks help it to filter better or to catch the finer debris?
- I can't figure out why adding DE to my cart filter doesn't get the performance close to a DE filter.

Unfortunately, it seems perhaps the state of the pool cloudiness is exactly the state is has been about 3 times in the last 3 years. And I have done the basics before: lots of shock, everything dies, vacuum like crazy, let it run for 2-3 days, and cloudiness doesn't go away. I am not sure, maybe another 5 days of running the filter will show the progress we are seeking :?: . Each time I drained and refilled. So a part of me thinks we are no further along yet in isolating the problem, or solving the problem (sorry don't mean to be negative, but I think my view is fairly accurate). Of course there is progress, I have learned more, am prepared to prevent the problem in the future if we can get it cleaned.

And then there is the question of flocculants. But I am really hesitant about that unless we understand the science: what types of particles are in my pool, what is the size and chemical nature, what is the density, how much flocculant would be required, what types of particles do flocculants affect, etc, etc.

I am also wondering about the filtering science (maybe need to read here a bit more). What size particles can these carts catch when new? What size can they catch now when degraded? What size are the particles with the pool cloudiness? What size does DE catch?

Thanks all!
Roland

Here is a shot of the pool steps when I went out this morning, after 48 hours of filtering after vacuuming 2 days ago. The 3rd step is barely visible, the bottom is not at all.
file.php

While vaccuming, even in the most shallow end, the vacuum head and the end of the white hose attached to the vacuum head are not at all visible.

Here is a shot of the jacuzzi after vacuuming this morning. The top step is barely visible, about 3-4 inches under water. The other steps or bottom cannot be seen at all. That is because during vacuuming some of the white powder goes back into the jacuzzi. One of 4 return pipes goes into the jacuzzi.
file.php

Attachments

• IMG_3825.JPG
    IMG_3825.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3827.JPG
    IMG_3827.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 45
Here's the hard part of the equation, Roland: It didn't get this bad overnight (IIRC, it took months of neglect :-D) and it won't clear up overnight either! All that money you "saved" over the summer is now coming back to you :shock:

Some of what you are probably seeing is DE, and some (most) is dead algae. Remember, we couldn't see the bottom, so we don't really know what is down there! We do know that you have good water, just not enough chlorine for too long, which created a nice algae "garden"!

I'll also say that there is no filter that will take the place of proper sanitizer levels. The micron difference between the two filters (DE or cartridge) would not have made much, if any, difference in your pool. The problem is just bad water chemistry, specifically not enough chlorine.

Hang in there, man! Once you get this handled, I'm pretty sure you won't let it get this bad ever again!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Roland, are you keeping the pool at shock level, while trying to get it clear? Don;t let that algae bloom reverse on you :rant:

Shocking:

1. Measure the FC level
2. Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, as often as once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
2. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
3. And, if you don't have a FAS-DPD test kit, the water is clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.