Hole too big for yard? Very worried

Chaba5

Jul 21, 2017
McKinney
We are building a 17' 1/2" x 33' plus a 9x9 spa and when they excavation took place it seemed really big, we requested to make it smaller but they said it will be another 4thousand dollar. Im extremely worried that is going to look too big in our yard.

Chaba, Share a picture of the dig.

I do have a couple of questions so we can really get a feel for your build.

-Is it the size stated on your contract?

-Was it painted or stacked out in the yard before hand?

We have had many people have the same reaction so it is very normal. When it is just a picture on paper=wow so pretty. When painted on the ground=that might be a little small. When dug=:shock: it looks SO big!

:hug:

Kim:kim:

The hole has to be bigger than the pool ... you will have at least a 6" wall all the way around inside the hole and then coping sticking out a little over that too, so the pool will be smaller than the hole.

:nopic:

I can't remember reading that someone wished they had a smaller pool. I have read posts from people who regretted they didn't go larger with their pool. If you enjoy playing and relaxing in water, you will be happy you kept the size as it is.

I do understand your concern. I worried over each stage of my pool build. I survived all the decisions and all the worry. I absolutely love my pool!

Take a look at the thread with the guy building the pool with two swim lanes in Texas. I don't think he's going to have a dry spot in his backyard.

Pools are like Tvs. People always wish they went bigger, but nobody ever wishes they had a smaller one.

send me a link to thread.
I can't remember reading that someone wished they had a smaller pool. I have read posts from people who regretted they didn't go larger with their pool. If you enjoy playing and relaxing in water, you will be happy you kept the size as it is.

I do understand your concern. I worried over each stage of my pool build. I survived all the decisions and all the worry. I absolutely love my pool!

Awesome! That looks great, and I'd say perfect for your yard. You have plenty of deck and play space, and you already have some lovely trees (and more just out of view) for landscaping. The layout is a much better balance of pool, deck, and yard than I have. Once you are in the water, cooling off, and relaxing.... you will be so glad you didn't make the pool smaller.

Thanks for the great photos! They give the perfect view of what's going on.

Suz

send me a link to thread.

Sadly, PhotoBucket broke all the picture links a few weeks ago, so you won't be able to see my pictures. I won't pay the $400 they require to fix them. Eventually, I hope to fix the pictures on my own. For me, that will take some time and learning.

If you are still curious, look at the bottom of this post. You can see my signature space with the description of my pool and equipment. On the top line of the signature, click on "2015 pool build". Other people's posts with pictures (who weren't using PhotoBucket) are still showing.

That pool is the purrfect size for that yard. Once it is done and everything is cleaned up you will fall in love with it again. The "mess" makes it look worse than it is now. Sit back and enjoy the journey to a back yard oasis!

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm extremely frustrated and unfortunately the Project Designer of the company started arguing with me in front of the workers. After I told them not to change it, he went ahead and changed it. from 16ft to 17 1/2ft. It made everything worse. Probably it looks good, but now I'm not enjoying it and I kind of feel devastated by the whole process. Very disappointing.

Can't blame you for being angry with the PB for arguing with you, but 18" of extra width is nothing to stress about in a yard the size of yours. Now if they made it 18" smaller than you requested, that might be a different story.

Hi Chaba5,

I think your pool size is in proportion to your overall yard size. And as has been said before, very few people wish their pool were smaller. With that said, it will all be relative to what you do with the remaining space. But from what I can see in the pics you provided, you still have a lot of options with respect to deck size and green space, if so desired. But it is okay to question, we all did. If it didn't look right, we'd let you know. Good luck with the rest of your build and continue to question and post pics.

I'm afraid being a little nervous during a pool build is very common. It's a big expense for something almost permanent.

I love hearing how you came up with your pool design and placement in your yard. I think you've succeeded with both. Is that part of your nervousness? You've had this dream and vision of a pool, so you are worried it won't match what you hoped for? I know I felt very much like that.

Answer this question... Do you love being in or near the water? What is it you like about it? If you are like most of us on this forum, your pool will be perfect once it's finished and you're getting to finally enjoy it!

I don't always have a lot of confidence in my decisions. So when my pool was being built I allowed myself to worry about the stage happening right then. Once that stage was finished, I didn't let myself worry about it any more. Then I worried about the next stage when it began! Lol! So now, your dig stage is over. Now you can worry about the next part! Or maybe you won't! I hope not, but being a worrier myself, I understand when others do.

Finally, look at all the people who have posted about your pool. They all believe it is going to be awesome! And they know pools!

I'm crossing my fingers that you will enjoy watching your pool being built! It really is an exciting and interesting life event.

Take care,
Suz

Love it!! It is going to be awesome. I love geometric shaped pools. What an awesome yard. It is not too big at all and you are smart to go long-ways like you did. The only way a pool could be too big is if you didn't have any room around it for furniture etc. but clearly you have plenty of room. Enjoy!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.